What to look for when I choose my bike.

NatePen

Local time
9:11 PM
Hello,
I'm looking to gather up my parts for my first build and I have a visual in my head of what I want it to look like but I might need a little help from the experts here to help with all the names and technical jargon.
I'd like to have large fat tires but I'm not sure what to look for exactly when I'm looking for the fork or the frame. Any help?
Another is that I don't want a low-rider type bike but I would like to be lower to the ground. Smaller wheels should be an easy fix for this correct? I'm a tall guy and sitting on these cruiser bikes puts my head in the clouds and makes me paranoid about the possible wipe-out.
Thanks for your help.
Nate

smaller wheels on a big frame will make you grit your teeth on every turn.

steering geometry changes, and your inside pedal hits the ground...that can be...exciting? :giggle:

going with a HT? friction? (horrible in the wet, so not for a daily rider) or a 4 stroke?

ht will just squeeze into a 20" (old school) cruiser frame, as they have slightly larger frames than a bmx. requires modified engine mounts.
(like i use in my pic... and it has slightly longer cranks than the original 125mm ones...so i know all about the ground clearance i mentioned earlier...just 15 extra mm makes for scary situations!)

bmx was great for friction drives, could jump them :)

4 strokes are great but until theres a bolt in design like a ht, a lot of hassle setting up.
i really hate the in-frame kits, they are way too wide to pedal comfortably... and usually the cranks supplied are POS.

really theres not much else that can be said. pictures are worth a thousand words, and experience cant be photographed :(

get a welder first!

Back