Sprockets What would you do about this sprocket?

sohcahtoa

Local time
1:09 AM
Hi all,
I'm working on my first build and noticed this flaw in the sprocket that came with my kit.

My inclination is that this could pose safety concerns and should be sent back to the vendor for replacement (still under warranty) - but before I do that, I wanted to mine the collective wisdom/experience here to make sure my instinct is valid. I don't have much experience with bikes beyond casual riding, so any insight you can share is appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3207.jpg
    IMG_3207.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 254
run the chain on it and see if it still works if it does dont worry it wont hurt anything if it doesnt fit order a new one and then sand that one down on that tooth and try it it would probally be fine one tooth isnt gonna make or brake it from running correctly

As long as no other teeth are damaged... you can sand or file down that tooth and use it as is safely, or exchange it through the vendor as he may not ask for it back, then you have a spare!

It's a singlespeed, and that tooth is still tall enough, so I agree, I'd try for money back, but if not, just file it down and run it. A lot of people file the teeth some so the cog is less likely to let a chain jump ("sharpen") the teeth a little from each side, sort of like bicycle chainrings (front). It doesn't need to be sharp, just angled a little on each flat side at the tips. It doesn't matter much with the wide chain, but can help some with narrow chains.

Thanks for the insight, wbuttry, Wheres my dog, and happycheapskate.

The vendor said I could mail it back (at my expense) and they would inspect it and at their discretion either say this defect is negligible and send it back to me, or send me a new one. Wasn't very impressed with the guy's attitude on the phone (didn't really instill any sense that he cared at all about my happiness as a customer), and cash is tight so I think I'll just clean up that tooth and keep using this sprocket since nobody raised any red flags here.

I appreciate it!

Yet another example of poor customer service from a company...

I am guessing by his attitude over the phone that you will not do business with him in the future?

Just watch who you do business with. There are a few businesses that can stick it to you and make you like it very fast. But best bet use the vendors on the margin on the left and you useally wont have much trouble. But what you got is fine happy biking my friend.

I use Paypal credit card for everything, especially anything on Fleabay. It has been well worth it because they have consumer protection clauses, so you can dispute stuff and probably get your money back.

Back