What's up with the Ambassador?

D

del

I'm seeing new Ambassadors discounted as low as $1400. The rumor is that Whizzer over-bought the Ambassador, and under-bought the NE5. But I'd like to hear what's really going on from folks in the know.

I'm in enough trouble already with my beloved CFO for having bought an NE5, but is now the time to pop for an Ambassador?

--del
"It followed me home, honest, can I keep it?"

The Ambassador seems to be a product looking for a market.

It does not have enough consumers that would seem to justify even producing it. The price point was wrong. The intended market already is full of scooters for less cost.

The market however is there for the NE5. But they decide to stop making them. A very bad move IMHO.

Wisdom would say produce what works and refine that product while improving the product quality. Make small improvements over time to help spurn sales even to current owners. This allows for a used NE5 market through current owners selling to new customers when they upgraded to the newer better much improved NE5 models. The used NE5 owners would produce loyal future customers who would likely buy new after enjoying the used unit for a couple years. The cycle would start again and would keep expanding the market base. Everybody wins

Seems to me as a result of not keeping to their proven product line that the Whizzer folks are in for some tough times ahead.

well, the Ambassador is now comparatively priced with the moped market (a new Tomos will run you about 1600 now), but ... there is less local tech support, I think, for the Whizzers and not having pedals makes it a tougher sell (to me, anyway ... I like assisting my bike on the hills).

I think the problem is that the bike is not close enough to the looks of the original Ambassador. Whizzer sells there bikes on nostalgia more than anything. The fact that Ne5's meet the qualifications of a motored bike is also a benefit that helps, along with good gas mileage. To me its just a wanna be chopper with a lawn mower engine. One thing it needs is the two speed gear clutch. Also If it has the same problems that the NE5 has that would also be a turn off. With the NE5 the love of the bike keeps the customer content with fixing the factory problems, and this sites help,(Thank You Very Much). I have a hard time with the looks of that electric starter. If they would have brought back the kick starter some of the owners of the NE5's would have purchased them also. And talk about missing the thoughts of the buyers, Ill never understand stopping the production of the NE5. Oh well they never asked me what I thought. LOL. It is funny when you think about it, they built the Ambassador to compete with the little Honda I was riding when they went out of business, now they rely on a bike they did not try out in sales before they stopped there money maker. I hear it rides nice and stops well, just don't know what to call it. They call it Ambassador but it looks like something else. Have fun, Dave

I wonder if Q can give a real run down on the problems one could expect to run into with a new Ambassador. Are they pretty much trouble free? Are they one gear or can you change gears as you accelerate? They definitely need a plate in AZ. Does anyone in AZ have one (how hard to register it?) This price really has me. I weigh 225 will that be a problem?

Back