What's up with the Ambassador?

Yea it is a motorcycle in Ca. also. It has a Variator for gears, you don't change them it is automatic, they work well. The brakes work well and I hear the ride is good also, it has front and rear suspension. That is a good price and I think it would proabably last for a good many miles, I just struggle with the looks. It is OK, its just not an Ambassador. Have fun Dave

PS: It sounds like it needs the Ignition moved, the add says it goes 40. The NE5 goes 40 with the mod, and it has no Variator. It is a one speed.

yeah, the suspension is what gets me. it looks so much more comfortable with that support back there. honestly, I think it looks bad ***! I love how it looks (minus the streamers). my concern with it would be accelerating from a cold stop. when I am on a small hill, I always use my pedals to assist my engine in taking off. I can't imagine not having that ability.

I think Q did a long run down when he got his Ambassador. It's on here, just do a search to find it.

as far as it being classified as a motorcycle or a moped in CA: the only real difference would be the registration fees. the dmv (license) requirements would be the same (my understanding is that they no longer give you a M2 classification ... it is just a motorcycle endorsement, even if you show up to do your skills test on your moped). cops hassling you because it is not technically a moped ... that may also be an issue (they seem somewhat lenient around here with mopeds).

Last edited:
I want the streamers! The one on Ebay has a type of Salisbury drive so it has an endless gearbox, something like the new Mini Cooper only less expensive. LOL. There was a guy that got a new Ambassador a wile back, I don't know if his had one, he never said. He was raving about the brakes and how good they were. So I think if the gears are done correct and I have to believe they are. It should pull from a stop as good as an old Cushman and they would fly. Have fun, Dave

Hi everyone, I haven't tested the new version of the Ambassador. I did stop riding my early edition Ambassador at 1500 miles, it is sitting in the corner of my stock room with a dead battery. The ride is much smoother than the NE5, but the bike is very, very heavy and has a difficult time in traffic. The rear springs are so stiff that myself and 2 other people couldn't make them move [guess they are only for looks]. In stock form the motor doesn't have enough power to propel the bike past 40, in fact if the rider is over 200 pounds it might not even make it to 40 MPH. Just before I parked it I installed a modified cylinder and a Westman high compression head, but the heavy bike still had problems reaching 50 MPH, and I only weigh about 165 lbs. The brakes are really good, but mine required a complete rear caliper assembly, and new pads on the front [the cable pulls the assembly to one side and causes the shoes to wear at an angle] to keep them working correctly. Whizzer did exchange the new 1.7 gallon tank for the original 1.2 gallon version when the tank split open at the rear and spilled gasoline on me, but because of the tilt the new tank only holds a little over 1 gallon. I saw the ads claiming 90 MPG [some even said 120 MPG], but mine never exceeded 60 MPG, and like the Harley Sportster you must stop for gasoline every 50 to 60 miles. As far as liking the steamers , I didn't, but they broke off anyway, so it wasn't really an issue. There is no way the Ambassador will pull away from a stop as good as an average vintage Cushman.
The version I have is the early model with the automatic clutch, but it is now using the 3rd version to make it move forward, the first had a cracked hub, and slipped so bad it wouldn't move at all, the second was the replacement, and the 3rd and current version is one of my modified units, and does work well.
I don't think they are legal in CA yet [carb approval]
If anyone purchased the new version, sure would like to see an article about it.

Have fun,
Quenton

Last edited:
I wonder if we could get the guy with them on Ebay to remove the cover over the Salisbury drive so we could see how it looks. Or ask Whizzer to put a pic or explain how well it works. The fact that they are on sale for the reduced amount to me is a sign of distress. I wonder if the company is going to survive. Have fun, Dave

Quenton Sorry to hear that the bike is not what is seemed to be. I guess the flowers are off the rose. I have a hard time figuring out how a company can get along trying out there ideas on there customers. I guess the model you have is one of the early versions. I remember making a comment that I thought they should have reproduced the two speed outfit. That would have been good for us also, as we could install them on the NE5's. I hope they get there ducks in a row, or the future is seems bleak. Have fun, Dave

Hi everyone, I haven't tested the new version of the Ambassador. I did stop riding my early edition Ambassador at 1500 miles, it is sitting in the corner of my stock room with a dead battery. The ride is much smoother than the NE5, but the bike is very, very heavy and has a difficult time in traffic. The rear springs are so stiff that myself and 2 other people couldn't make them move [guess they are only for looks]. In stock form the motor doesn't have enough power to propel the bike past 40, in fact if the rider is over 200 pounds it might not even make it to 40 MPH. Just before I parked it I installed a modified cylinder and a Westman high compression head, but the heavy bike still had problems reaching 50 MPH, and I only weigh about 165 lbs. The brakes are really good, but mine required a complete rear caliper assembly, and new pads on the front [the cable pulls the assembly to one side and causes the shoes to wear at an angle] to keep them working correctly. Whizzer did exchange the new 1.7 gallon tank for the original 1.2 gallon version when the tank split open at the rear and spilled gasoline on me, but because of the tilt the new tank only holds a little over 1 gallon. I saw the ads claiming 90 MPG [some even said 120 MPG], but mine never exceeded 60 MPG, and like the Harley Sportster you must stop for gasoline every 50 to 60 miles. As far as liking the steamers , I didn't, but they broke off anyway, so it wasn't really an issue. There is no way the Ambassador will pull away from a stop as good as an average vintage Cushman.
The version I have is the early model with the automatic clutch, but it is now using the 3rd version to make it move forward, the first had a cracked hub, and slipped so bad it wouldn't move at all, the second was the replacement, and the 3rd and current version is one of my modified units, and does work well.
I don't think they are legal in CA yet [carb approval]
If anyone purchased the new version, sure would like to see an article about it.

Have fun,
Quenton

Thanks Quenton great info.
I like the overall look of the Ambassador. Not having peddals turned me off. Probably many other people also. Hense, chop the price to move them.

Talked to a dealer here in California and said the Ambassador doesn't pass the smog requirements so they can't sell them here. Noticed the reduced price on the Whizzer web site with the statement "not for sale in California."

Thanks Quenton great info.
I like the overall look of the Ambassador. Not having peddals turned me off. Probably many other people also. Hense, chop the price to move them.

That is definitely what turned me off. It looked totally moped. Which isn't a bad thing if that is what your in the market for. Heck, I am currently getting my Honda moped back up and running after taking a 20 year sit in my fathers tool shed. An old girl friend gave it to me when she upgraded to a scooter. It has only 215 original miles on it but finding the service manual has eluded me. I was able to obtain a owner's manual and had to special order the battery but it was available even though the guy at the Honda shop said don't hold your breath on it.

I am hoping that the new 2009 NE model will be much better than the past models.

HELP: If anyone knows of where I can pick up a Service Manual for a 83' Honda PA50 II, please let me know! Thanks...

Back