What's your opinion of Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sparky, May 4, 2008.

1. sparky

sparky Active Member

In case you didn't already know, Ubuntu is prolly the most commonly used Linux distro. I've been using Ubuntu exclusively for quite some time and am more than happy with this alternative to Windows & OS X.

There are too many great features of Ubuntu to list. It can make an obsolete computer look even more responsive & more beautiful than OS X, configured just the way you like it (see here & here), there's always quick updates to newly discovered issues (esp. security), there's a new release every 6 months for major feature upgrades, there are thousands of free programs to download from a central repository (no way to get malware of any kind if you download only from this repository), there's no need to run any extra malware searching programs, which frees up your cpu & more importantly your memory...

And best of all, Ubuntu itself is free and can be tried without even deleting your current Windows or OS X partition. Just download the newest Live CD (newest version 8.04 "Hardy Heron" released not even two weeks ago), and you'll be able to restart and boot from the CD, not even accessing the hard drive at all until another restart.

So, download it and let me know what you think. Or let me know what you think of it if you're already using it or have tried it before.

P.S. - Understand that Ubuntu is NOT Windows. Why would you want it to be? For example, there's an additional way to copy & paste (other than ctrl+c & ctrl+v)... just highlight the text you want to copy, then move the mouse cursor to the text field that you'd like to paste in and simply middle click. And there are also a few things you'd need to do in order, for example, to see Flash objects in web pages, since Adobe's Flash was closed source up until the last week or two. These basics can be solved with the Ubuntu Guide, or more advanced issues can be solved at the Ubuntu Forums... or you could just ask me!

Have a good one!
    Last edited: May 4, 2008

2. But I'm scared.
  3. sparky

sparky Active Member

I'll take Cronus from you if you can't handle the goodness.

EDIT: Seriously, tho... it only costs you one blank CD.
  4. sparky

sparky Active Member

Oh yea... there's also a new feature in 8.04, called Wubi. Supposedly it installs Ubuntu "inside" Windows, so you don't even need to configure anything at all.. it can simply be installed or removed with the basic "Add/Remove" program in Windows.

Linux has come a long way...
  5. BSA

BSA Guest

I've got server edition on a 26gb partition on my PC. It is an excelent choice for people who want to get the best out of their PC.
    I would also recommend DR-DOS. A clone of MS-DOS which supports multitasking, password, large disks and long filenames. It is also free.

6. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

Sparky, what your saying is, Ubunto then is a OS in Linux, when installed on existing XP OS, Ubunto then overides the existing OS ?

So for example, If I have a HD with XP and important files in that HD, but it suffered the BSoD due to irreversable registry corruptions, then Ubunto can run those programs and files that previously worked in the XP environment ?
  7. sparky

sparky Active Member

Bolts, there are many different ways of installing or just using Ubuntu.

If you already have XP on your hard drive, you can simply restart your computer with the CD in there and "test" Ubuntu from the CD drive (it's still pretty snappy).

From there, you can install it alongside Windows if you so choose, or you can completely override it... but there's not too many people who'd be able to do that.

Or you could go back to Windows and install Ubuntu essentially as an application that be Added or Removed like normal.. that's the Wubi thing I mentioned above. This is a new feature, and I have not used it since I rarely boot into Windows.

Also from inside Windows... you could use VMWare Server or Player (both free) to create a virtual "image" inside your Windows partition. Anytime you want to mess around with Ubuntu, you can open VMWare Player, open the Ubuntu "image" that you create like any other typical OS installation. The VMWare Player application pretty much treats this virtual image as your hard drive.. but all this is handled by the Player application. This is an awesome option. I have not created an Ubuntu image inside Windows... but I have created a Windows image inside Ubuntu before... and it was friggin' awesome.

There are just too many different ways to go about using Ubuntu... but I'd just make sure that the Live CD worked for things like wireless & maybe sound output before I start installing. I will be putting this newest version of Ubuntu on my desktop, but I'm going to actually keep my laptop at "Fesity Fawn" (two versions ago), because there's a bug with my mixer... I can hear sound but I can't adjust the volume.

Occasionally bugs like this do pop up, but it is pretty rare. But if they do... I've got a bunch of free support by opening up an IRC client & asking a lotta nerds to help me. Sometimes I'll ask a question on the forum to get an answer. IRC is a much more practical problem resolving tool than calling Dell & talking to some people reading from a script.
  8. azbill

azbill Active Member

I downloaded and installed as per your suggestion...
    am testing it as we speak
    it was the easiest linux install I have done yet
    no hardware issues (always a prob for me before)
    seems to be an easy learning o/s for me so far :D
  9. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Downloads at a good rate(230Kb/Sec) & i'll test it within the next few days....taa man.
  10. Zev0

Zev0 Member

I've tried, ubuntu in the past. Liked it alot, however I'm perplexed by the limitations of software which I use to (ahem) make copies of dvds that I own, if you get my drift.
  11. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Absolutely i don't wanna see u perplexed Zev so here's a possible solution....use SlySoft AnyDVD in conjunction with Slysoft CloneDVD2.
  12. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Proud owner of both of those excellent pieces of software. However, I didn't think they would work with linux.
  13. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Hey sorry man,i misunderstood u there....i though it didn't matter about the OS,just the goal.Dunno about them working with Ubuntu & it's probably going to be ages before i test them.........sorry. :)
  14. BoltsMissing

Ok, I still don't understand.

If I have XP and I run a VBA in Excel using Office 2003, and my VB codes/scripts freeze because XP and Explorer end up causing memory issues in some cache after a repetitous dynamic web query, then will Ubunto exclusively run Office 2003 and Excel VBA instead of XP ?
  15. sparky

sparky Active Member

I use k9copy for the job in Linux. I tried using dvdrip before, but it wasn't too easy to get working. There's also DVD Shrink for Windows which is free... and that can be run from within Wine (Win emulator) along with a good number of other Windows apps.
  16. sparky

sparky Active Member

I don't really understand your problem. You said you tried it in Ubuntu before, and it didn't work? And the Win-centric app & data doesn't even work in XP either??

The only problem I can see is you trying to copy over instructions and/or data designed to work with proprietary software. If you want to switch platforms, that'd mean you'd need to rewrite whatever it is you're trying to copy over for a clean slate. That'd be the optimal way to do it. If whatever it is you're trying to do *does* work in XP, you could try to use Wine to run Office. If that doesn't work to well, CrossOver should definitely work.

There are options a plenty... which really does seem to be the biggest hindrance to Linux. Large, are you still scared?
  17. sparky

sparky Active Member

Which way did you install it, with Wubi? I might have to try that myself soon, just to see what it's like.

Sounds like a typical testimonial right there.

Try messing with everything you can. Right-click on the panels & click "Add to Panel.." I like the weather & system monitor applets the best (to watch for rain & make sure I've got enough free memory with a simple glance and/or click for detailed view). You can also shift applets around... for example, I have my volume applet in the top right so that I can simply "throw" the cursor in that corner and scroll (no need to click, even). You can put these applets anywhere you'd like.

Another tip... Just go thru that guide and pick out useful information. Then try installing a program called "unp" (for unpackaging any single type of compressed file ever) from the command line:
    sudo aptitude install unp

Then say you have a file called xyz.zip in your home directory... you simply type "unp x" (and then hit tab for tab completion, if nothing happens that means there are multiple files that begin with the letter x, so you must hit tab once more for a list of those files beginning with x) and then hit enter. The command line seems difficult, but there are helpful shortcuts like this that make navigating thru there actually pretty painless... you can enter in a previous command by pressing the up arrow key and simply hitting enter again.
  18. BoltsMissing

No, I tried the Ubunto forum is what I meant, and that did not solve the issue because the no one realy knew the answer cos I don't know the correct way to post the question. I am not being funny, I don't know the exact cause of a dynamic web query freezing the Excel App, the entire Excel Office has to be shutdown from task manager when this occurs at random.

No, a certain private Propriety Software ran a script.
    I still have that script,the script is mine,
    but the Software developer has shelved the project when HIS software that runs MY script could be not be anymore, and would not re-download the software after I fixed XP on a new HD. There is no heartaches/animosity , it's just the way things went when IT technology keeps changing.

So I recreated a entire pseudo propriety software AND a new script all in Excel/ VBA.

Yes, I thought so, but I don't have time anymore and things aren't like they used to be in what I used to do with the script.

No matter what stone I turn, it's a dead end.
    Thanks for your time.
  19. sparky

sparky Active Member

Yea, sorry Bolts... I just have no idea what you're talking about, and further explanation to me isn't going to help because I still wouldn't know.

Dynamic web query sounds like you'd want a LAMP server (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP). PHP seems to be the best web programming language. I'm pretty sure a LAMP server could handle your problem much better than Windows, but again... I don't know exactly what you're doing.

If you really wanted to give the developers a hint at a possible bug, you should notify the developers of the application (openoffice.org) instead of the general OS developers who compile the distro from the tons of various applications. The forum can be found thru these contacts... http://support.openoffice.org/index.html#fcs or you can also get in a chatroom with them @ irc.ubuntu.com or irc.freenode.net thru programs mIRC (windows) or xchat (linux).
  20. BoltsMissing

No Probs, neither did the developing programmer knew what I was initially talking about till the script did it's thing.
    It used Firebird Server with relational database and plug-ins of 3rd party software as required, and the script "talked" to the database and the 3rd party SW's in some obsure BASIC computer language, exclusive to the Server, if that sheds any light. All it did was crunch numbers and acted accordingly repetitiously. After all, that's all a computer is ain't it, a glorified calculator ?