Wheel bearing question

I plan to use a bicycle front wheel with a non-threaded motorcycle axle If you choose to use ball bearings that rod will have to be threaded. How else will you set the preload on the cones if you can't screw them in and out ? You might be forced to use sealed bearings.
So I actually found out that the hub I’m going to be using, which is a sturmey xl-fd, already has sealed bearings, and the ID is 10mm, which is the same size as the K10 fork axle, I managed to snag a NOS K10 front axle. Someone on the other forum actually ran an xlfd on k10’s, and they drilled out the threaded spacers (fine to do with sealed bearings as there is no preload to worry about having to set), and added some spacers to match the length, but as it turns out, this is going to be extremely easy to set up, and I can leave the dropouts stock so there will be no cutting the dropouts to slide in a bicycle axle, with sealed bearings you can just push the axle through the fork and hub. I’m extremely happy. I’m also going to purchase a heavy duty rear wheel with a sturmey xlrd3, which is a 90mm drum and internal 3 speed. This way if I ever have to pedal, it will be easy. I think I’m going to swap out the chainring on the xlrd3 to the biggest size it will take, which is 24t. So far, the planning stage of this build is going swimmingly

Sounds like a home run to me. It's great when a plan comes together. I too have some hopefully good news to share regarding my wheel real soon.
Awesome man, yeah motorized bicycling is such an interesting hobby because it can take a lot of research to find out how to marry bicycle parts to motor power. Especially when you are going non-kit, and not planning on using “standard” bicycle parts. Fortunately, I got lucky so far with this. Hope everything comes together with your wheel.

Awesome man, yeah motorized bicycling is such an interesting hobby because it can take a lot of research to find out how to marry bicycle parts to motor power. Especially when you are going non-kit, and not planning on using “standard” bicycle parts. Fortunately, I got lucky so far with this. Hope everything comes together with your wheel.
Even with kit parts it can be a challenge. I've always liked the saying "universal universally doesn't fit"

Back