Wheelchair adapter help

F

fredbert

I have an adapter for my wheelchair which turns it into a three wheeler, I have removed the useless electric wheel hub motor and battery pack to replace it with a GXH50 or a GX31, at present I am trying the GX31 with a minimoto cvt. I got of ebay if some one could have a look to see if it is suitable I would appreciate it. Item number: 130160963800

Here is a pic of what I am trying to achieve side2.jpg this is a guy in the states he has a GC Robin - Subaru EHO35 33.5 cc 1.60 hp four cycle Gear & Chain Drive kit fitted. It can be seen at this sites http://www.staton-inc.com/ gallery.

My main objective is pull with maybe 12-15 MPH top speed I would not feel safe going faster. I want to keep up with the family on bike rides and also be able to do a bit of off road, round forests beaches etc.

In the past before I found out about the above Staton set up I used a 2 stroke 49cc with a simple centrifugal clutch to see if the principle would work. It was successful enough but the noise and fumes were too much so I opted for 4 stroke.

One of my thoughts was to use a TAV 2 torque coverter but it seems that the unit is weighty and as I want to keep the weight down that option seems to be out.

I came across the 4 Stroke SKYHAWK Motorized Bicycle GEARBOX Honda GXH50, is it possible to mount the gear box vertically. I was told that oil would run out of the Gbox. That info came from Revolution Cycles as I read some disturbing views about them I do not know what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

Does any one know if the Grubee gear box is available in the UK?

I would think that you'd want a bit of weight on the front wheel for traction. It looks like most of your weight will be directly over the axle on the wheelchair. I have no experience with the gearbox, but someone will.

Last edited by a moderator:
grubee makes a rack-mount kit for the 4stroke, so I would think that the gearbox will work
there is a member here, (birddog), that is a dealer for grubee and he should be have any info you need on the conversion
I believe that http://www.transformercycles.com/ is a UK-based dealer as well, not sure if they do 4stroke though

:cool:This reminds me of that 1985 vampire movie, SILVER BULLET, where Gary Busey modifies his nephew's motorized wheelchair.

good luck. We're here to help you, Ed.

Myron

:cool:This reminds me of that 1985 vampire movie, SILVER BULLET, where Gary Busey modifies his nephew's motorized wheelchair.

good luck. We're here to help you, Ed.

Myron

Nice reference! I just watched that one the other day... LOL
I would also agree and think that front mounting the engine would be the way to go on this, but in getting to the actual details, well, much of that will be dependant upon which engine kit you end up using for certain... Please keep us posted and we'll do our best to help!

Thanks all for the replies and advice, one problem I have at the moment though is out off the three gxh50's, all had their crankshafts shorn off at the key side of the crank.

I got them from a friend who manufactures mixers, I can't believe it 5/8 thick bar basically snapped. I did not notice until I put the engines under pressure the engine ran but the centrifugal clutch did not turn, bummer.

Anyhow I am waiting on a crankshaft to be delivered.

With regards to the weight the front end attaches to a housing unit under the w'chair I am wondering if that helps keep the front end down.

I will try to pop up some pics,I am bascially starting from scratch with the GX31 so maybe people might see a different way of doing some things.

Ed

Transformer cycles do not show the Grubee gear box on its site, I will email them to see if they have them. I believe there is a second edition of the gear box.

Here are some pic of what I am doing image one show the gx31 engine with mounting bracket.

Image 2 shows the bracket on the trike and the last shows the bracket I made.

I have to make adjustable brackets to attach to the wheel axel so I can tighten the chain.

I would appreciate any feed back or advice where I could be going wrong.

Ed

Attachments

• trike1.jpg
    trike1.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 884
  • trike2.jpg
    trike2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 793
  • bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 843
I am going to attach an adjustable rod/bracket to the engine from the axle on both sides of the wheel, but I know what you mean that is something I will have a look at.

The brackets will be on the lines of those shown in my first post side2 pic.

Sometimes we can get too complacent and think we have it sorted so thanks for the heads up.

Hey I turned all royal with royal we next I will be using one.

Ed

Back