When do i grow up & motorcyclize ?

Ron has a point there! He uses the term, "HT", referring to "Happy Times"!

"H" does not stand for Harley; "H" does not stand for Honda. Those machines might be satisfying to purchasers of $10,000 machines. Even the smallest of brand new kiddie Honda cycles cost $1,400 before it can be carted out the door. I can buy a lot of "Happy" elsewhere for $1,400 and more.

My reply to my Honda-riding kid brother who asked "Why?":

"I'm HAPPY with what I have!"

I don't think of MB's as a baby step into motorcycles, it's a sport unto itself. I'm working on mine right now, new cylinder and piston and a new set of tires. I get as much enjoyment out of building as riding.

Anyone can buy a motorcycle but when I ride down the road, I'm riding something that's part of me.

For me, the reason I like MBs is that they are like a bicycle.

It may become pertinent to upgrade to a MC should one begin expecting too much from a motor assisted bicycle IE: need more speed, performance, need to commute a long distance at various times of the day and do it with relative safely, etc.

Also, not talked about much but more than one might guess, a lot of interest in MBs is generated by people who don't have a drivers license.

For me, the reason I like MBs is that they are like a bicycle.

It may become pertinent to upgrade to a MC should one begin expecting too much from a motor assisted bicycle IE: need more speed, performance, need to commute a long distance at various times of the day and do it with relative safely, etc.

Also, not talked about much but more than one might guess, a lot of interest in MBs is generated by people who don't have a drivers license.

Actually that's why I got into the MB's to begin with...my son of 34 had no license for the better part of 14 years...got that all straight now. I gave him a Miata, but we still ride for fun. I wouldn't want him to ride 30 miles each way on a HT (riding home at 9PM), 2 lane road, no shoulder and quarry trucks (18 wheelers).

There is a quote that I like, and I think it applies here. Next time someone say that to you, tell them this.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"

These are not pretend motorcyles.
I am also 63 and went thru the motorcycle phase 40 years ago.
They are very appealing, but keeping my body parts right where they are is more appealing.

I own motorcycles, work on motorcycles for a living, and these MB's are just a different niche.
There is no way I could classify them as a motorcycle. That to me would be like classifying a family mini van in the same category as a commercial delivery box van.
This is not a childish sport. This is a recreational sport that can also double as transportation.

I don't think of MB's as a baby step into motorcycles, it's a sport unto itself. I'm working on mine right now, new cylinder and piston and a new set of tires. I get as much enjoyment out of building as riding.

Anyone can buy a motorcycle but when I ride down the road, I'm riding something that's part of me.

My sentiments exactly.
I have owned many different types of motorcycles- and truly enjoy my R1- But building and riding motorbikes is a great amount of fun to me.

Back