When do i grow up & motorcyclize ?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by robin bird, Jun 5, 2010.

1. robin bird

robin bird Member

At what point am i supposed to quit this childish sport and get a real motorcycle? This comment was made by someone--in so many words--so what do you think ?[

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

I've owned motorcycles in the past....I'm 63 like you, and like my HT toy.
  3. MikeJ

MikeJ Member

Ron has a point there! He uses the term, "HT", referring to "Happy Times"!

"H" does not stand for Harley; "H" does not stand for Honda. Those machines might be satisfying to purchasers of $10,000 machines. Even the smallest of brand new kiddie Honda cycles cost $1,400 before it can be carted out the door. I can buy a lot of "Happy" elsewhere for $1,400 and more.

My reply to my Honda-riding kid brother who asked "Why?":

"I'm HAPPY with what I have!"
  4. kerf

kerf Guest

I don't think of MB's as a baby step into motorcycles, it's a sport unto itself. I'm working on mine right now, new cylinder and piston and a new set of tires. I get as much enjoyment out of building as riding.

Anyone can buy a motorcycle but when I ride down the road, I'm riding something that's part of me.
  5. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

For me, the reason I like MBs is that they are like a bicycle.

It may become pertinent to upgrade to a MC should one begin expecting too much from a motor assisted bicycle IE: need more speed, performance, need to commute a long distance at various times of the day and do it with relative safely, etc.

Also, not talked about much but more than one might guess, a lot of interest in MBs is generated by people who don't have a drivers license.
  6. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Actually that's why I got into the MB's to begin with...my son of 34 had no license for the better part of 14 years...got that all straight now. I gave him a Miata, but we still ride for fun. I wouldn't want him to ride 30 miles each way on a HT (riding home at 9PM), 2 lane road, no shoulder and quarry trucks (18 wheelers).
  7. Thatperson

Thatperson Member

There is a quote that I like, and I think it applies here. Next time someone say that to you, tell them this.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
  8. professor

professor Active Member

These are not pretend motorcyles.
    I am also 63 and went thru the motorcycle phase 40 years ago.
    They are very appealing, but keeping my body parts right where they are is more appealing.
  9. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I own motorcycles, work on motorcycles for a living, and these MB's are just a different niche.
    There is no way I could classify them as a motorcycle. That to me would be like classifying a family mini van in the same category as a commercial delivery box van.
    This is not a childish sport. This is a recreational sport that can also double as transportation.
  10. nidyanazo

nidyanazo Member

My sentiments exactly.
    I have owned many different types of motorcycles- and truly enjoy my R1- But building and riding motorbikes is a great amount of fun to me.
  11. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I got into MABs due to a personal situation and Im hooked. As long as I can ride one I will keep at least 1 around. Theyre fun, you can literally go anywhere with them and theyre cheap. No plates, ins or DL needed. I guess the most important word to describe it for me is FUN. To me MCs are a whole different category and you cant compare the two.
  12. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I like my motorcycle, but I will never outgrow my MB
  13. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Hough suzuki is making an early 70s retro 250cc street bike and it is sweet. Kinda like a hondog cb360 and its reasonably priced at 3700$ new. Im wishing.............................
  14. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

The TU250X...yes, very nice.

...but I have a genuine retro '70s bike, a '79 XS400- from non running, oxidized lump to near new, starts on the first kick every time- in 4 months:

15. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Sweet bike. Excellent bike! Im very fond of kawis as in the 70s I grew up on a kz400 and ke175, sooki t-250 6speed 2 stroke, ct70 hondog, cb550 hondog, various bikes that were yamaha or zooki........okay i think it was a TC50 zooki but it was a huge bike for a 50cc. The yamaha i had to push start every time but I think it was a 100cc or 90cc.
  16. graucho

graucho Active Member

My opinion, you can't compare the two. Over the years I've regressed backwards. You need to have the love for riding a bicycle, to own a MB. "To each his own" I guess. You can love... and own both. For now I'm just riding motor bicycles. Electric and gas.

17. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Hough I cant disagree more.......that 250 os just pure memories and a pure blast at that.......Hough I respect you but......thats my bike and price.......good luck .
  18. PatrickW

PatrickW Staff Member

All I can add is that I have owned and drag-raced cars that would do a quarter mile in well less than 9 seconds...cars that would run flat out faster than 250 mph...Cars that would run flat out at 160 mph on an empty expressway, and boats with three outboards capable of leaving your tummy still on the dock when the boat was a mile and a half out to sea! I have never been much on motorcycles, but I have been on one chasing down, actually just staying with, one doing in excess of 130 mph. All I can say, after all of these years, and oathes in between, I have never grown-up so-to-speak, and don't intend to as long as I can keep my balance. That is the major concern and limitting factor over which I have no inpute!!!
  19. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Hey, I wasn't disagreeing with anything about the TU250X- If I did not have the bike I have, it would be high on my list- at the top, in fact. I was just saying, I have a retro '70s standard, that's all.
  20. Saddletramp

Saddletramp Member

My 74 Year Young Uncle says, growing old is easy, growing up is hard! He rides one of my Trikes :)