Engine Trouble when i put the spark plug in, the back wheel becomes locked and wont turn.

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by chegarty15, Jun 28, 2012.

1. chegarty15

chegarty15 New Member

when i look in where the spark plug should go, i see flap type things spin around as the wheel moves. i can feel air coming out of the hole. when i put the spark plug in, it is almost impossible to move the back wheel. what do i need to do??

2. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

That would be the piston moving up and down in the combustion chamber. When the spark plug is in it's hard to move the tyre because the piston compresses the air/fuel mixture in the chamber ready for the spark and combustion. That is a good thing - combustion is what you are after. Now all you need to do is get the engine turning over so that is starts.

Do you have a clutch lever? If so pull this in and then you will be able to ride normally. Pedal along and then drop the clutch and keep pedalling. That will turn the engine over and hopefully start it up. What type of motorized bike are you riding?

3. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

wow!
    flap type things moving up & down?
    wondering why the wheel won't turn easily with the spark plug in?
    are you sure you picked the right hobby?

4. Lunardog

Lunardog Member

roflmao

andres1436 likes this.
  5. tooljunkie

tooljunkie Member

i was thinking the same thing.

6. racerguy

racerguy New Member

Does it really make you guys feel better to tear people down? At least Anton tried to help why don't you listen to your mommy and if you have nothing nice to say shut the h*@L up. Motorpsycho your good enough and smart enough now just work on that self esteem.

7. tooljunkie

tooljunkie Member

my best advice to you is keep reading in this forum,and others relating to things with motors.
    in order to prevent further antagonism it would be advantageous to educate yourself on the workings of an internal combustion engine.

if you can obtain a parts breakdown,it will define the various components of your engine.
    Al Fisherman has a thread relating to complete teardown if i recall correctly.
    i found it an interesting read.

8. sp454e

sp454e Member

this forum is the best forum. I can get answers to my question by reading or asking. I have learned alot from this forum

9. V 35

V 35 Member

I'm assuming your not talking ' compression resistance ' When the piston travels up, it compresses the fuel / air mixture, which would make the wheel hard to turn. Are you talking interference ? Like when the piston hits a high spot, and no longer turns ? Remove the magneto cover, and use a socket wrench to spin the crankshaft. If the engine can make several complete reveloutions without the spark plug, than the engine turns freely. Put a few drops of fuel in the spark plug hole, replace plug, pedal, release clutch, the fuel should fire off at some point. If not, ignition is faulty.

10. wally

wally Member

I wonder who scared off the OP? :)

11. motorpsycho

REALLY?
    well, i understand that people have to learn somewhere.
    this is a hobby that isn't for the average joe & when i read things like what he wrote, i just ask myself "why?"
    Why did he decided to get into this hobby?
    is he really that mechanically challenged?
    i mean really, my 10 year old son knows what a piston is by sight, & he knows what it's doing when it's going up & down in the cylinder.
    listen to my mommy? well, funny you should mention that because my mommy happens to know more about engines than any other 70 year old woman i know. seeing as how she's married to my dad, who has been a diesel mechanic and hot rod builder for the past 60 or so years.
    work on my self esteem huh?
    hmmm, seems to me that i don't have a problem with that at all.
    I'm sorry if I know a lot about engines, and all things mechanical.
    yeah, you should find out who your talking about before you go accusing me of anything.
    if i have nothing nice to say "shut the **** up?"
    wow, you really got me there.
    one of these days when you're having a problem with your engine and you can't fix it, i'll take your advice & shut the **** up.

12. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

I'm still trying to work out if the Original Poster is just playing games or is actually a real person. They haven't replied back to any of their posts which seems a little odd.

13. racerguy

racerguy New Member

Wow now we know

Now that we know your awesome credentials everyone stand up and give him an applause. If I had a trophy for someone who likes to hear himself talk I would give it to you but sadly I don't. And I never questioned the mechanical skill level of your son or mom so I hope neither of their feelings were hurt but at least you were there to defend their honor.

14. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I agree that one should have basic mechanical skills and knowledge before attempting this hobby if for anything but personal safety. You won't believe some of the builds I've seen by mechanically challenged newbs that were downright scary, not to mention dangerous.

15. tooljunkie

tooljunkie Member

i agree with skyliner,not so much with bikes,but i have seen pretty scary stuff within the automotive industry.
    take it any way you like,but it also helps to know the O.P's mechanical aptitude in order to provide appropriate direction.

not knowing what a piston was ,left you wide open for sarcasm.

16. chegarty15

chegarty15 New Member

hope you feel good about yourself. my son used my account, he is 9. thanks man

17. tooljunkie

tooljunkie Member

lol.
    well,that explains everything.

18. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Posters should acknowledge their age and experience level. I hope he was logged on under your supervision...

19. motorpsycho

Well, that explains a lot. the fact that your 9 year old son was able to access your account. That's what passwords are for.

20. Lunardog

Lunardog Member

Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: massachusetts Age: 54 Posts: 10Rep Power:0

This is who was posting as far as everyone here knew. Perhaps if your son is going to pursue this hobby as well, a little father and son together time teaching him the basics might be in order. Motor safe and have fun.