Where can I get Head Bolts from?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by StrontiumEthics, Sep 13, 2008.

1. StrontiumEthics

StrontiumEthics Motored Bikes Sponsor

Where can I get engine head bolts from? I have a revolutiion cycles bottom end, and a dax 70cc head. I need a bolt that fits into the Revolution cycles bottom end.

2. 6mm or 8mm allthread rod. Avail at Ace Hardware......
  3. mralaska

mralaska Member

None of the hardware stores in my area carry metric allthread so I had to order from http://www.mcmaster.com/ but while I was there I picked up a ton of other stuff I needed. I had no sooner clicked the confirmation button when cust service called to inform me they coud not ship one of the items to a residential address, but everything else showed up in a few days.
  4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

it depends on which hardware store we go to
    thank goodness down the hill
    our hardware store carries almost every type made -- it's a country thing

machine shops can also be a happy surprize
    went in to my buddies machine shop a few times needing little things
    he puts them on with a smile -- no charge -- meet one asap -- great friends !!!

Ride That Thing - Mountainman
  5. LabDude661

LabDude661 New Member

I recently talked to a buddy of mine that is a motorcycle mechanic and he told me that the allthread is a bad idea. The little tappered head at the base of the threads on the stock head bolts is there for a very good reason. Apparently that point is a known weak point on all head bolts in all engines and as a intuitive fix, the weak point of the bolt was made thicker. Now I know that motoredbikes and motocycles are two different animals but he also told me that with the allthread he went through 4 feet of the stuff in one year and after replacing the head bolts with stock tapper centered bolts, he hasn't had a problem in 5 years. I just replaced all 4 of my head bolts with new ones from bicycle-engines.com. I think the set of 4 was like 4 bucks or something. I also got net locking washers and new M6 nuts. They got it all to my super quick too. The head bolts also stopped the air leak that I had around my head gasket and gave me another 2 mph on my top end.
  6. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Been using all thread for 3.5 years with no problems even with torque up to 20 ft-lbs.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  7. Bronzebird

Bronzebird Member

How much all thread rod is needed to replace on the 70cc HT. I want to buy material before untorqing the head. 8mm?
  8. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

I comes in meter lengths. You'll need about 20".

It could be 6mmX1.0, or 8mmX1.0, or 8mmX1.25
  9. Lorcher

Lorcher New Member

Don't forget to use thread locker.