Where do you ride? (road, side of road etc.)

I'm using a set of Bontrager Extra thick tubes inside of Cheng Shin kevlar woven 1.9 slicks. I have 400 motored miles on them with no wear showing on the front and slight wear on the rear. And no flats!
One thing about riding on the shoulder is you need to be careful of the difference in height from the road surface! I've had this almost crash me and/or make me swerve into the lane when making the transition.

I started riding to work back in May. My commute takes me along a fairly busy road, 2 lanes in each direction, but for most of the summer the traffic wasn't bad. September 1st school started and the traffic tripled. September 4 A girl maybe 17, on a cell phone, cut right in front of me running me and my bike over. My arm is broke and still in a cast, but my bike is fixed. Anyway she claims she never saw me. Im a 240lb caucasion riding a chrome motorized mountain bike wearing a red t-shirt. Whatever get off the phone. What can one do when there are people out there that just don't pay attention, no matter where we ride on the street there is still some clown on a phone or shoving a bigmac in their face not paying attention. Im angry but as soon as my arm is healed i'll be riding maybe with that florecent orange construction vest.

As of right now I'm taking the sidewalks just because I hate getting pushed to the side. I also have a really big fear of some car going around me and hitting oncoming traffic. I don't know why I just always think about it haha. Maybe that's how I died in my last life :eek:

You're begging for cop troubles by riding on the sideWALK. Take your rightful and LEGAL place on the road. You really should try to "lay low" since you're not old enough by your state law to ride a MB. I'm riding 100% legal and I still try to stay under the cop's notice. Wear a helmet, lights everywhere, stop for all signs/lights, keep it under 30, etc. You might check your city/state laws about the legality of riding on the sidewalk, but if you were a cop and saw a bike "motoring" on the sidewalk at 30 mph what would you do?

As of right now I'm taking the sidewalks

well MB ANT

this comes as sad news -- you are on the sidewalks with your MB

now sure about where you live and ride -- but, in most places

SIDEWALKS ARE A NO NO -- with engine on == instant ticket..........

be careful -- one ticket could mean - with your age -- not riding for a while..

we wish to always be able to Ride That Thing ANT -------------- MM

if you were a cop and saw a bike "motoring" on the sidewalk at 30 mph what would you do?

let's see here -- if I was a cop (pooolice) what would I do

that's an easy one

write ANT a ticket and then take myself out for coffee and donuts

I think that's the correct answer ???

ride that thing (not on sidewalks) MB ANT -------------------- MM

You can probably get away with riding on the sidewalk if you ride 10-15 mph all the time. Just kill the motor when you come in contact with pedestrians. You don't want to p!ss them off and have them report you.

I too am forced to ride the bike paths and a few short stretches of sidewalk on my 10 mile commute to work. The roads I take are just too fast with little or no shoulder and a TON of traffic. Fortunately I usually only pass 1 or 2 people each way - kill the motor lift er up and coast by, then engage and go !
If the speed limit is 35 or less I ride the road staying as far to the right as possible.

My situation is a little unique. I ride country roads with no shoulders. I can see traffic coming with a lot of time to position myself for safety. When I occasionally ride in the city I feel that roads without shoulders are not safe for bikes. If there isn't a designated bike lane or a safe shoulder the road is built for a car. (Im not saying they shouldn't respect us) 2,600 lbs vs 300 lbs. We can't win. Defense, defense, defense. Make yourself visible.

Back