Where do you ride? (road, side of road etc.)

I ride the bike lane or shoulder lane mostly. If there's no shoulder, and low traffic and/or speed limit, I'll take my lane and drive like the cars. If it's loaded with cars, and no shoulder, I'll ride in the grass, or pull over, and wait for the crowd to pass.

Bike lane or shoulder lane. I take the lane in only 2 spots on my commute, because it is to turn left at a multi lane intersection.

There are two T-shaped intersections on my commute where it is possible for me to keep cruising right through the red light if I wanted to, since the bike line would be uninterrupted by traffic.

But I stop anyways. I figure I am pioneering motorized biking in my town and I need to set a good example for now (plus it's not legal, and I am pushing for it to become legal in 2009). I feel as if I probably have the attention of many bored drivers sitting at the red light. My front and back lights are flashing brightly, I'm wearing a helmet and backpack, and I have what appears to be a large cooler on the back. Not to mention a row of flashlights on the handlebars. I hope that they see me and are perhaps inspired to consider getting a bike themselves to commute.

There is no need to give car drivers reason to want to ban mbiking, like they did with pocket bikes and also motorized scateboards. We don't need any of that.

Last edited:
I claim the lane with my twin-engined iron dragon.:devilish:

My long trips are a series of sprints from traffic light to light. I'll wait 25 yards ahead of the light on the shoulder. When the red light stops the main traffic, I hop into the right lane and blitz for a half-mile at 35 mph. I usually hit the next red light before the onrushing traffic catches up to me. Then I'll wait ahead on the shoulder for the next red light to stop main traffic and blitz again.

I NEVER ride the road's edge. Like one writer mentioned, one swerve and there's an accident. And there are people who LIKE to cut it close with bikers.

I don't give them that chance to clip me.

When I had one engine, I was either on the bike path or sidewalk.

I RIDE ANY WHERE AND EVERY WHERE JUST KEEP A LOOK OUT FOR THE PIGS CAUSE THESE BIKES ARE NOT LEGAL, WAY TO MUCH POWER OUTPUT!
it'S A GREAT FEELING PASSING CARS IN THE 50KM ZONES THE LOOKS OF SHOCK SAY IT ALL!

recommend motor bike POLITE SCHOOL for you

I RIDE ANY WHERE AND EVERY WHERE JUST KEEP A LOOK OUT FOR THE PIGS CAUSE THESE BIKES ARE NOT LEGAL, WAY TO MUCH POWER OUTPUT!
it'S A GREAT FEELING PASSING CARS IN THE 50KM ZONES THE LOOKS OF SHOCK SAY IT ALL!

we here on site recommend motor bike POLITE SCHOOL for you
just a few of the reasons follow

#1 -- we should not refer to our local pooolice as pigs
#2 -- getting a great feeling from delivering shock to others while riding your MB
will not help our motorized bicycle cause AT ALL !!!

please be TAME when you ride that THING

left turns and tight spaces

There are sections of road where no bike lane exists, and parked cars are to the right. Seems like the only option is to take the lane decisively. That should force cars around you rather than to "share" your lane. The parked cars pose enough of a risk as it is, no need to invite motorist to make a meat and metal sandwich out of you.

That said...I avoid these sections of road like the plague! In heavy traffic, I'll even shut it down and walk my MB on the sidewalk rather than take the chance.

What do you all do about left turns? On smaller intersections I'll take the lane to make a left. However, on bigger intersections (I have a couple 6 lane roads that intersect nearby), I'm uncomfortable making my way to the left turn lane, but feel like a dork crossing the street like a pedestrian in the cross walk.

How do you all handle lefts?

In light traffic I'll make a left turn like a car. Heavier traffic I use the two-step method.

It didn't really occur to me that being in or near those cross-walks is dorkish.
I wouldn't let that worry you.

Though the youngsters would laugh; safety is cool!

left turns

I think what I really meant about feeling dorkish is about not behaving as motorist expect. That's a confusing statement, let me explain...

I have two MBs, one is a home built HT and the other a store bought electric scooter (pedals not installed). The HT bike looks like a bicycle and cars would expect me behave like a bicycle, crossing at the crosswalk.

However, the electric looks like a scooter capable of a much higher speeds than it actually is. Technically, it is an electric bicycle that tops out at 23mph. Crossing that thing at the cross walk gets odd looks and confuses drivers, since they expect me to behave more like a motorcycle.

I guess I don't really care if drivers think I'm a dork. I just don't want to get run over.

Yes, I see what you mean.

One of the best defensive riding techniques is to make sure that those cagers are not guessing about your intentions and making sure they understand what they are seeing.

I know its a thread revival!

The 2 lane roads I ride typically have a 1 foot wide area to the right of the white line, I usually ride in that area. People still go into the other lane halfway to give space when passing though, which I appreciate. I don't know how other guys "claim the lane" riding slowing than 35mph because in reality traffic is moving at 50mph. My bike tops at about 30mph, which is a big speed differential to be riding in the lane irritating drivers and causing controversy instead of amusement. However, I do know we have the right to ride in the lane.

Question: If you're on a 45mph speed limit road and your bike does at most 30mph and cars approach 50+, where would you ride?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back