Where do you ride?

LOL, I should have been singing "Casey Jones, you'd better watch your speed".
This is gonna get silly

Where I ride

Where I live, the townsite area is about 1 square mile. There are 3 roads out of town:
One goes 7 miles, past the ferry terminal, to the Chilkoot River, Chilkoot lake, and Chilkoot State Park. There are 6 or 7 waterfalls etc along the way. Where the ocean and the river meet, there are usually Seals feeding on the Salmon.The river is full of salmon this time of year, so I like to stop and watch them jumping. There's often bears feeding on the salmon too, though they've figured out that it's easier to take them from fishermen than catch them themselves. The lake is one of the primary spawning grounds for Sockeye salmon. It's full of Dolly Varden Trout that feed on the eggs.
Another road goes 7 miles to Chilkat State Park. That's where the ocean meets the Chilkat River. The last mile or so is a killer 14% grade, switchbacks. But it's worth it to ride out there. Beautiful views of Davidson Glacier and Rainbow Glacier.
The last road goes 44 miles along the Chilkat and Tsirku Rivers to the Canadian border. All along the way are views of mountains and valleys that are rarely, if ever visited by man. At 25 mile, I can turn off and go towards Porcupine (a gold mining area), Chilkat Lake, or Sunshine mountain (Gravel roads, breathtaking views of mountains, glaciers, etc.). At 26 mile, I can turn off to Mosquito Lake (where I'm working on building a cabin), and the Kelsal Valley (Gravel roads that take off along the Kelsal River into the wilderness along the US/Canadian border). At 33 mile there is a Roadhouse that serves some of the best burgers I've had. Oh, I forgot to mention the eagles. At 18 mile is the Bald Eagle Preserve. In the fall, there are thousands of eagles.
Plenty to look at on my rides.:cool:

Pics

Here's pics of the views along the roads to Chilkoot Lake, and also to Chilkat State Park.

Attachments

• IMG_0380_1.jpg
    IMG_0380_1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0448_1.jpg
    IMG_0448_1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0216_1.jpg
    IMG_0216_1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0220_2.jpg
    IMG_0220_2.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0225_1.jpg
    IMG_0225_1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0226_2.jpg
    IMG_0226_2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 276
Mosquito Lake

Here are some pics from out toward Mosquito Lake. The first one is at 4 mile, looking up the valley toward Canada. The second is out on Mosquito lake road. It's the start of what will be my driveway. The cabin and shop will be at the base of the hill you can almost see back there. The third is Jay's alternate transport. You need a bush pilot who can land you in a mud puddle? Jay's the man. I won't post pictures of the Kelsal or Sunshine. You all want to see that, you gotta come see it.:)

Attachments

• IMG_0226_1.JPG
    IMG_0226_1.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0462_1_1.jpg
    IMG_0462_1_1.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0467_1.jpg
    IMG_0467_1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 272
Hey Van, nice shots. I do no why they call it mosquito lake. I remember all kinds of giant deer flies that will dive bomb you and leave a wollop.
I also remember the scunk cabbage as well as those giant Salmon berries and man were they good. The size of quarters or more, if my memory is correct.
Really nice pics of Gods work! Thanks!
Doc:D

Last edited by a moderator:
An average day - Hijackng A Thread?

Hi Scottm,
I thought I'd keep track of my riding on a day off. I hope you enjoy it:

After checking the crab traps this morning, I went by the junkyard to look for parts for Augie. As I passed the Fog Cutter bar, I saw that a bunch of friends from out of town were visiting.

IMG_0669_1.jpg
So I stopped in and had an N/A Beer with them. Then I decided to wander out to the UMF Clubhouse. Built a fire in the pit to cook a steak. Some friends dropped by. I let some of them ride the bike. Good to see what that grin looks like from the other side.

IMG_0674.jpg
Rode out to the springs to fill my water bottle (The best drinking water in the world. IMNSHO)
IMG_0679_1.jpg
We had the water tested a couple of years ago. Far better than the town water (Which is okay).
IMG_0681_1.jpg
Gratuitous picture.
IMG_0687_1.jpg
And back to the Fog Cutter. That Moose rack has a 50" spread. It was Mardi Gras weekend, hence the decorations.
IMG_0697_1.jpg
In the back area of the bar is the 52" rack a buddy shot a couple of years ago (Moose season is coming up)
IMG_0698_1.jpg
About 25 miles not counting the rides I let people take. I can do that here, and know they will bring it back.

I hope you don't feel like I'm hijacking your thread. If so, feel free to do whatever with it.

Looks like a great place to live, Van. 52", now that belongs under our rack mount section. Thanks for sharing.

Back