Where is the sticky on what brand 2-stoke engine is the best?

Rapidrob

Local time
4:00 AM
It sure is not obvious if there is a sticky on who's brand is the better of the one's offered? There are so many being sold it's hard to make out if they are all the same maker or not. Are the one's with a " Cool-sticker better than the plain-jane models?
I'm writing about the frame mounted engines and not the wheel drivers. If you do a search there are so many non-topic hits it would take hours to hash out.
Thank you.

i would suggest you start with the vendor reviews.
its not only about the engine,the seller has something to do with the products ,too.
the parts and service available can influence who a person chooses to buy from.
ultimately,the choice is yours,based on what your criteria is.

I have to agree with Tool on starting with the vendor. Compared to the kits several years ago, most today are a **** shoot when you buy them. Some will be great, others will be ****. Even from the same vendor.

As a recommendation, I suggest you use the information from forum member AI.Fisherman on inspecting and preparing your engine. Don't be in a hurry to start the engine before taking the time to check and make adjustments. Most of us just want to install and go, but it ain't that easy. Look at all the other posts where people are having problems. They didn't take the time to properly setup their engines and bikes even though the information is posted on a Sticky under the Forum thread, Introduce Yourself.

Here's a valuable resource that will help you get your engine running properly:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

I'm in that boat now. There are so many engine kits for sale it's hard to figure out who/what is the best. Even the 5-star vendors have bad reviews. Slapping a cool sticked on the gear case does not impress me, I'd rather have true feed back on what name brands are holding up the best in the long run. A 30 day warrinty on a new engine is a joke. I can see why it really is a ****-shoot on the quality of the brands.
Thank you for the replies.

From my experience, there's no such thing as "the best brand" for them. You're playing the Chinese lottery when you buy one. They don't come with a fortune cookie, either.

i reccomend buyng a 4 stroke, but if not go for it and buy one and pull it apart put new bearings and maybe seals all throughout and do there quality control for them instead of getting a bit of casting slag in your cylinder (like i did after 10 - 15 minutes of a new engine)

I'm waiting on parts now for my "BikeBug" engine. The rings were worn out causing no compression. When I stripped my Tanaka engine down I was stunned on how well it was made.
You'd think with the demand on bike engines being so high, someone would jump on the band wagon and really make a good engine that most could afford to purchase.
We all work hard for our money and it just rubs me the wrong way when I see a new engine having to be torn down and basically rebuilt with chrome piston,better bearings,better seals,realigned gears,etc.
Don't get me wrong. The price we pay for the kits is very affordable. But as stated by several others, it really sucks to be miles from home and the engine dies and it's 90 degrees out as you pedal up-hill.
The 4-stroke engines are well made and an option for sure.
Thank you for your replies. It gives me a chance to really think about the next step.

Back