Where should "bikes" and "bike bargains" be posted?

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by bamabikeguy, May 6, 2009.

1. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

There is a thread about $129 Schwinn Jaguars, but its in "Wild in the Streets".

I had one customer jump on it, if the sale is still on Friday, I hope to pick up a his n' her.

The one thing it ain't is Wild in the Streets.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=19760

But it seems there needs to be a place to show bike possibilities. I saw a $400 Trek step-thru at my bike shop, perfect for the artificial knees folk.

Maybe something called "Just Bikes", where newbies could link a Craiglist find and we could analyze the photo for advise?

Where the occasional bargain like the Jaguar could get attention.

And where a new frame, like the Trek Whatever its called could be pointed to.

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

good idea -- that would be a time saving addition to site -- would think anyway ??

because we all like to find the right bike and

ride that THING on a 45

3. bamabikeguy

It would be double-good if the bike model was clearly identified in the title, not "Will this work?" or "A $25 Red Bike"

Descriptive titles save a whole lotta time

4. Tom

Tom Active Member

Where we would we post the "Just Bikes" forum? The straight scoop?

5. augidog

augidog Banned

i'd think so...but i think i'd use "Bicycles" to be clear you're talking about a raw foundation before motorvation.

and bama's point about using a more descriptive subject line is good advice, wherever you're posting :)

6. loquin

loquin Active Member

When I've run across a bargain, I try to post it in the MotoredBiking Parts & Accessories Forum.

7. bamabikeguy

Yeah, I've got a few "about bikes" threads in that part of the forum, and the Jaguar thread should be moved....but I was thinking of us making a one spot resource for bicycles, pluses and minuses, prices and websites.

We have a spot for new folks to "ask a question/get a link", which could/should be a place to get opinions about Craigslist finds. (edit: Thinking about it, I could see how the "Bicycle Review" section could get clogged with Craiglist discoveries....of zero use unless somebody jumps fast)

But you really hate hearing somebody buy a new $100-150 bike and finding the motor won't fit, when we know that problem was addressed long ago. I cringe when a caller mentions a Mongoose or Avalon.

When gas hit $4 last fall, I had a couple run around 11 WalMarts looking for Pointe Beaches, when for the fuel they used, they could have bought better cruisers.

Last week, when I needed a Ladies Sun Comfort Rover for an older, really tall fella, there was only one, in a Los Angeles warehouse, and instead of paying extra shipping, I could have bought that $400 Trek, but I didn't even know about it until I found out how Sun's are flying of the shelves.

I'll know next time.

(There are 300 Sun's in transit, but nobody knows what models/colors/speeds they are until they arrive.)

The bike biz is booming, and "new" bike prices are going to stay high, that Jaguar thread was temporarily helpful. . . I would love to sit around and modify Jaguars all day long.

If they come on sale again in the summer, I'm just hoping whoever finds it bumps it to the top so I can sweep up a few, they usually are featured for only one week. And the sale price isn't offered if they drop ship it from another location.

Academy Sports did that to me last year, advertised a $230 21 speed, then when I got there, they neither had it, nor would they order it. Last time I even thought of recommending them.

I'm an hour away from the nearest Target, it would be an all day dealio to loop around 3-4 stores in the area.

--------------------------

We need to put a little thought into the idea, I'm just linking 3 threads I found about frames, just in case we do create a NEW bikes/bike reviews section......

Sun bikes
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4455

"Big Boda" frame
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6486

Looking for and "old man/step thru"
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6228