Where to buy 12ga spokes?

In MB.C's opinion, do the heavy duty spokes go on the rear wheel ONLY? Should the front wheel also have heavy duty spokes? Can most bike shops deal with heavy duty spokes? I'm not sure I want to build my own tire.

I don't believe that fronts need that beefy a spoke, I have a drum brake on my front and while it stops me very well, have never had a spoke bend yet
the backs take a lot of torque from the engine and therefore need it more

Ok, so I was speaking to a bike repairman today. He mentioned that, though spokes are an important part of the wheel, the rim, spoke and build quality are more important. That being said, are there any good wheel sources that are recommended? Any rims?

Thanks for all your help!

npk1977 said:
Ok, so I was speaking to a bike repairman today. He mentioned that, though spokes are an important part of the wheel, the rim, spoke and build quality are more important. That being said, are there any good wheel sources that are recommended? Any rims?

Thanks for all your help!

Look at the wheels offered over at http://www.bikeengines.com/
They have a rear with stainless 12g spokes for not that much.

I built my own 4 cross rear with 14g DT spokes but I used a very stout Staton 4 bearing rear hub. This Staton hub has very little dish from the hub flanges. The left side spokes were only 2mm longer than the right side spokes...that is very good, (if you don't know). $380 Phil Woods hubs use spokes that are all the same length.

All spokes are wire tied and soldered for a very firm wheel assembly.

I have $200 in my rear wheel, so the Golden Eagle wheel is a good deal but with typical bicycle bearings.

Back