Which bike should the seller build for me?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by 5-7HEAVEN, Jun 23, 2007.

1. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool: howziit guys,

i called a seller on CRAIGSLIST who had 2 mountain bikes for sale. coincidentally, he owned a rental unit in my townhouse complex, AND lived 2 minutes away...a stone's throw from where my electric cruiser's coaster brake jammed on my hairy downhill ride!

took my 80cc engine with me, to trial-fit the bikes' frames. both didn't fit the engine. the guy had TONS of used bikes in pieces. two of 12 frames fit well, a DIAMONDBACK and MONGOOSE TIRAGE.
    for $60, complete with suspension fork, which one should the seller build for me?

2. ivan44

ivan44 Guest

Back in the day I raced bmx a little and I always had Diamondbacks. My oldest son races a Diamond back and has jumped it a ton of times and the frames hold up really good. My 9 year old son has a mongoose mountain bike. He rides the crap out of that thing. When I checked out the frame it had really nice welds. I think you'd be good to go with either. Both manufactures have been around for years and their stuff has held up over the test of time. As a matter of fact my older brother dug up one of our old Diamond backs from the early eighties at my dads house, zip stripped the frame, had it re-painted and gave to one of his daughters that races 50cc dirtbikes all over the country. She loves it as a dirt bike and if you didn't know it was almost 30 years old you'd never know it.

3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i owned a '92 diamondback "outlook"...a large-frame men's MTB. if i owned it today i'd put a "happy time" on it in a flash 8)
  4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:D Thanks for responding, augi and ivan.

the Mongoose's bottom tube is oval-shaped,so the engine would need a special mount. the Diamondback's tubes are round, actually smaller in diameter than the engine mounts.

the Diamondback's top tube is dented in 2 places. the seller said that the frame is still straight and would not be a problem. he'd bondo and paint over the dents.

i don't mind driving a beater. it reminds me of my hotrod days, when looks meant nothing and power and engine sounds were everything.

or should i just buy a $180 SCHWINN SKYLINER comfort bike from WALMART? it has front shock, dual v-brakes, 21-speeds. i'm pretty sure i could carefully trial-fit the engine, and return the bike if it didn't fit.

i need to call the guy this afternoon, to let him know my choice.
  5. ivan44

ivan44 Guest

what too buy

The new bike sounds like it may save you some elbow grease. I guess it depends on if you plan on doing any mods later on. If I knew I was gonna change the new bikes rims, bars, crank set, ect I'd probobly get the diamond back and piece it together how I want it

good luck
  6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

8) thanks for input, guys.

i changed my mind. :shock:

i'll be modifying my electric girlie cruiser to accept a chinese engine...or find a men's SCHWINN or RALEIGH aluminum frame and transfer all my stuff onto it.

i appreciated your responses, and will cancel my order from the craigslist seller.