which is better belt or chain an sprocket

big kountry 75

Local time
6:00 AM
This is my first build an I havent decided on a motor yet or a final drive. I want speed but I also want to be able to pull off without pedaling. China girls are cheap but do they have power an are the clutches very strong. Whizzers are a little to pricey maybe a BS but dont want the starter cord look. now for the question what is the best final drive chain an sprocket or belt an hoop sheave? help SoUtH Ga DrEaMin

This is my first build an I havent decided on a motor yet or a final drive. I want speed but I also want to be able to pull off without pedaling. China girls are cheap but do they have power an are the clutches very strong. Whizzers are a little to pricey maybe a BS but dont want the starter cord look. now for the question what is the best final drive chain an sprocket or belt an hoop sheave? help SoUtH Ga DrEaMin

Well, a lot of questions and there are a lot of variables so it begs more questions. What is the intended use? Riding around the neighborhood and errands, commuting, touring and serious miles? How about rider/cargo weight, terrain, and what is expected when you say 'speed' and how's the laws and/or moped regs where you live?

HTs and Whizzers are apples and oranges from the simple standpoint that one is 49/66cc and the other is 135cc. MABs are bicycles with pedals and small motors attached so some pedaling is inherent and speeds are limited by design and by many legal standards. Whizzers are going to have performance more like small motorcycles but regulated in most places more like them also.

Last edited:
True it does make for more questions . The answers are to start useage will be everyday use commuting errand runnig an just cruiseing around. The speed well I'm looking for around 30 to 40. Does that help you with helping me I'm probaly going with a B&S motor

I would always advise to start with a good legal understanding. If GA is home base, a quick glance at the regs say: 50cc/2HP/automatic/30mph, exactly the same for where I live which allows exemption from lic/reg/ins.
http://moped2.org/laws/Georgia.htm
I'll take it, that exemption is worth it to me. Over that and you move up a vehicle class to MCs and another reg standard.

A lot will depend on rider weight and terrain but much can be done with 50cc. Most MABs require some kind of gearing reduction to get engine rpms to a usable level so final gearing ratios will be a key determining factor: tall gearing equals higher top speed but not good low end take off, lower gearing equals better start ups but less top speed. There are always trade-offs but it's doable. However I think it's a mistake and somewhat a waste of money to end up dissatisfied expecting small motorcycle type performance from a motor assisted bicycle. Also, from a safety viewpoint it's wise to consider bicycle choice and know that low end bicycles were just not designed nor fabricated for hard service.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link an your right hers where I'm at at the moment I've got 58 schwinn an my engine choice seems to be a liflan 49cc with a 4 speed gearbox. The 30 mph is fine by me I just dont want to run my engine at full throttle all the time thats why I'm going with the liflan plus its 4stroke so no mixing. The engine doesn't fit with the look I was going for but you've gota give to get right.I was attempting a BTR but now I'm going with modern retro fingers crossed hope it turns out cool.

Last edited:
Back