which motor for bicycle when covering long distances!

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by sae3dkhan, May 19, 2011.

1. sae3dkhan

sae3dkhan New Member

i have heard that when u are using a chinese 80cc motor on a bicycle u can only cover a small distance as the engine gets hot! is this the case with any engine and if i was to ride over europe in a motorized bicycle which motor would u recommend?

2. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I would take a Robin/Subaru , Honda, Tanaka, or Kawasaki for reliability.

3. sae3dkhan

sae3dkhan New Member

ok

thanks pal ! i would like a bit more detail if thats okay and also can people tell me where i can purchase them from as i live in the UK!

4. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Not sure where you can purchase over there. Maybe a U.S. dealer will ship to you. The engines I mentioned on a rear, friction drive mount are a great design, in my opinion. Yes, they will slip in the rain, some. I don't ride in the rain.

5. sae3dkhan

sae3dkhan New Member

hi

how can u fix them on so that they dont slip in the rain?

6. Oddzball

Oddzball Member

bah. I dont think overheating is a HUGE deal. You going more than 50 miles a day? If not you should be fine with a chinese 2 stroke.

I think frankly most of those 4 stroke friction drives are WAY over priced anyway.

7. rustycase

rustycase Banned

+1

The folks behind the drive systems certainly wish to be gratified for their efforts.
    I can't fault them for that. It's tough to earn a living these days.

If my intent was a longer regular commute, or a distance adventure, I would run a honda gx35 or gc50 and a tooth belt similar to the gebe system.

Best
    rc

8. sae3dkhan

sae3dkhan New Member

hi

hi okay i think honda gx35 would be suitable ! now the only problem is that i live in the UK ! and i dont know where i can purchase one so if anybody knows please let me know! please give me the details thanks

9. Oddzball

Oddzball Member

honestly, I cant help with that, shipping would be killer to UK IMO.

10. sae3dkhan

sae3dkhan New Member

hi

There must be somewhere in the UK who stock them or somewhere in the US who dont charge too much for shipping!!!

11. rustycase

rustycase Banned

12. sae3dkhan

sae3dkhan New Member

cheers

cheers mate i will look forward to seeing how much it all comes to!

13. sae3dkhan

sae3dkhan New Member

I need the best !

Im suprised that there aint anywhere in the Uk that sell the engine kits!

14. buzbikebklyn1

buzbikebklyn1 New Member

For long distance and longevity, its gotta be the Honda GS series 4 strokes, they come in several different displacements.
    I once put over 10,000 miles on a GS31cc with only regular oil changes and regular maintenance, I then rebuilt it and it went another 5600 before I sold it.
    I've seen GS 50s with well over 5000 miles on them and they still pull strong.
    I run my GT5R 66cc 2 stroke china girl hard, over 50 miles a day just going to and from work, more on a "epic"(100 mile) ride.
    So far its never let me down(knock wood).
    It runs fairly cool in normal weather and I run it just a tiny bit rich just in case on a hot day.
    As long as its moving its fine and as with any air cooled engine, you don't want to idle to much standing still.
    BBB

15. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

When in doubt, buy the name-brand engine.
    If shipping is a major problem, buy local, whichever engines are reliable.:detective:

16. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Which motor?

Just my opinion, I think you need to check around where YOU live and see what kind of 4 stroke engines are available. Friction,Belt or chain drive is a personal choice. I run only 2 strokes but 4 strokes really are more reliable. you also have the advantage of not mixing gas & oil. You can pull into any gas station and fillerup.
    Like I said, Just my opinion.
    Thanks,
    Big Red.