Which Mountain Bike Seat?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by stringer, Jul 8, 2008.

1. stringer

stringer Banned

I was looking for a new seat, my current one hurts just to look at it. I was hoping for something real comfortable, but I also didnt want a love seat or something that looks overly theraputic. Looks are important to me, I really want this MB to come out awesome.

After looking online, I found this seat. What do you think? I wasnt sure what sort of suspension to look for, or if this would work with a suspension post. But I found some pics online of it installed on a mountain bike, and it looks like just the right size. I looked up the info on my bike, and it says "Aluminum micro-adjust, 30.9mm diameter". Does this mean any 30.9mm seat would work? Anyway here is the link. Is this a winner or should I be looking at something else :confused:

2. alex

alex Guest

3. bikeman6969

bikeman6969 Member

4. sparky

sparky Active Member

Overly therapeutic? No such thing!

I got the Schwinn seat you linked to, but it's still not wide enough for me, and I'm pretty skinny. The whole thing that got me on these seats with no horn was Large fitting a tractor seat to one of his bikes. It makes sense to go get rid of the seat and go wider instead of trying to overly pad a seat that only holds up a third of your butt.

It's a little awkward to pedal with these bench seats, but you'll get used to it. And since you'll be using the motor the majority of the time, you won't even notice you're sitting on a seat that's designed for bicycles.
  5. datz510

datz510 Member

I have the $19.95 Bell gel seat with urethane dampeners from Walmart and find it very comfortable. But, with my newest build I'm going one step farther. I'm adding a suspension seatpost in addition to the gel seat.
  6. stringer

stringer Banned

thanks for the replies.

i thought i might be able to get away with a seat thats comfortable, and cool looking. maybe that is not the case afterall.

alex: that schwinn seat looks real comfortable but dayum it sure is silly looking lol. id like to see what it looks like on a bike, but google is not finding anything.

i saw the bell at walmart but i didnt like the way it looks either. i guess ill have to compromise and err on the side of comfort.
  7. graucho

graucho Active Member

8. brendonv

brendonv Member

Get a MB Gel Seat with springs, comfy as, u can get em off ebay, just search MB seat!
  9. Warner

Warner Member

I've read good things about this seat and it will be the one that I order....once I get the darn seat post out of my bike and replace it with a suspension seatpost! I'm going to try the ammonia trick in the next day or two. Below are links to both the seat and seat post that I'm going to use on my Trek MB with the upcoming Staton chain drive kit w/mitsu TLE43 engine:

Here's the seat:

Here's the suspension seat post (make sure to order correct size!):

Hope this helps,

10. stringer

stringer Banned

thanks alot for all the great replies.

warner thats the seat in my original post, and im too giving it serious consideration. btw, have you heard anything about your staton order? they havent replied to my email. :(

Also guys, i understand the suspension post helps alot too? I havent been able to find one in 30.9mm. But I did do some reading and found that shims exist. Would it be ok to use a shim for proper fit on a MB?
  11. Warner

Warner Member

Yeah...that's the seat I'm going with. Not TOO tractor-like, but more comfortable than a regular seat. I'm also going to use the suspension seat post, as soon as I get the old one OUT! What a bear! The ammonia trick worked for me sort of....at least I can rotate it and I actually got it to move about an inch, which means it WILL come out. Ran out of time and muscle for tonight. As far as the Staton order, NO, I haven't heard a word. I tried calling today and got their voice mail. Since I have additional prep work to do to the bike before I install the kit, I'm not being pushy about it yet. Once the bike is ready, I'm hoping the kit is HERE because then I will get a little anxious and probably just a tad pushy. Hehe.

12. stringer

stringer Banned

yes this seat looks like it would be good. i need to get a suspension post as well. do they have a tendancy of sticking? the situation you describe doesnt sound like fun, and i took mine out and noticed its loaded in white grease.

does anyone know for sure if i can use a seat post shim on this MB? nobody seems to make a 30.9mm suspension post. i have only found one and its $230 and comes with a remote control? lol

im having trouble grasping how this works. my bike has a 30.9mm hole in it and i need a suspension post + seat. do all seats fit all posts? i am so confused.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  13. stringer

stringer Banned

do i need clamps or anything?
  14. Snax

Snax Member

No really, that's not for a lawn tractor?? :grin:

I just bought one of those Bell gel pad seats and I'm not really impressed with it. It cuts the vibration, but it still is grossly lacking in comfort for my butt.
  15. Warner

Warner Member

No, the post that's stuck in my bike is the original post. The aluminum has a chemical reaction with the chromoly steel and bonds to it. NOTHING worked until I found a tip about pulling the cranks out and dumping ammonia down the seat post tube. Apparently the ammonia breaks up the chemical bond between the aluminum and the steel. Must be some truth to it because I DID get it to rotate (with the help of an 18 inch pipe wrench!) and then managed over the course of over and hour to move it out about one whole inch! Wow! It's progress though, and if it rotates that means that it WILL come out. It's NOT fun at all though!

16. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

Attached Files:

17. stude13

stude13 Active Member

i got one that looks like it would fit a burro (fairly wide) and then had custon gel inserts made that you would be comfortable with on a camp out. ride on mitch
  18. datz510

datz510 Member

I found the shims you need, so you can use a 25.4 suspension seatpost: $7 each and in stock: They have any other size you might need as well.

And yes, these would be perfectly fine to use.. its what they are made to do.

Also, did a little searching and finally found a 25.4mm suspension seatpost that is in stock: Pricepoint has the Tamer Honest Abe Suspension Seatpost for $29:
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  19. datz510

datz510 Member

20. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

Brief Brooks' History

1866 - John Boultbee Brooks established a works in Birmingham for the manufacutring of leather strapping for horse harnesses and general leather goods. Legend has it that a19 years old J.B. Brooks bought himself one of those fangled velocipedes. After riding on it, he found out that the wooden saddle was excruciatingly uncomfortable. Now his father made leather saddles for horses, so he thought of making a leather saddle for his new velocipede. The rest, as they say, is history.

1882 - J.B. Brooks filed his first patent for a spring bicycle saddle, the first of its kind, as J.B. stated: "I was dissatisfied with the present type of saddle, which affords little protection against the shocks of cycling on our uneven roads".

1900's - In the early 1900's Brooks was offering an astonishingly broad range of bicycle saddles and other accessories such as saddle bags, tool bags, saddle back rests, inner tube cases,...

1950's - Brooks was the leading bicycle saddle manufacturer, with a work force of 3.000 people and a weekly production of 80.000 saddles, making a yealry total of over 3.000.000 pieces.

1970's - Less than 30 years ago, Brooks was still a fairly large manufacturer of bicycle saddles, yearly making 1.500.000 pieces.

Today - Brooks sells to over 100 countries special ranges of products have been developed for connoisseurs. Main markets are Germany and the Netherlands, but wherever leisure cycling is on the raise a potential for Brooks exists (France, Italy, Scandinavia...).

The Brooks Brand
    Brooks is probably one of the best known brands of bicycle components and accessories, with a glorious history and a dedicated number of followers. The value of the company is strictly related to the fascination of the brand with a potential far higher than its current position.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015