Which Mountain Bike Seat?

thanks alot for all the great replies.

warner thats the seat in my original post, and im too giving it serious consideration. btw, have you heard anything about your staton order? they havent replied to my email. :(

Also guys, i understand the suspension post helps alot too? I havent been able to find one in 30.9mm. But I did do some reading and found that shims exist. Would it be ok to use a shim for proper fit on a MB?
:confused:

Yeah...that's the seat I'm going with. Not TOO tractor-like, but more comfortable than a regular seat. I'm also going to use the suspension seat post, as soon as I get the old one OUT! What a bear! The ammonia trick worked for me sort of....at least I can rotate it and I actually got it to move about an inch, which means it WILL come out. Ran out of time and muscle for tonight. As far as the Staton order, NO, I haven't heard a word. I tried calling today and got their voice mail. Since I have additional prep work to do to the bike before I install the kit, I'm not being pushy about it yet. Once the bike is ready, I'm hoping the kit is HERE because then I will get a little anxious and probably just a tad pushy. Hehe.

Warner

yes this seat looks like it would be good. i need to get a suspension post as well. do they have a tendancy of sticking? the situation you describe doesnt sound like fun, and i took mine out and noticed its loaded in white grease.

does anyone know for sure if i can use a seat post shim on this MB? nobody seems to make a 30.9mm suspension post. i have only found one and its $230 and comes with a remote control? lol

im having trouble grasping how this works. my bike has a 30.9mm hole in it and i need a suspension post + seat. do all seats fit all posts? i am so confused.

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-No-Pressure-Bicycle-Seat/dp/B000DZGLVY/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1215567155&sr=8-4

Here, try this seat. I have it on my bike. It looks good and it feels good. It has no horn to hurt that sensitive part of your body. You can get them at Walmart.

No really, that's not for a lawn tractor?? :D

I just bought one of those Bell gel pad seats and I'm not really impressed with it. It cuts the vibration, but it still is grossly lacking in comfort for my butt.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
yes this seat looks like it would be good. i need to get a suspension post as well. do they have a tendancy of sticking? the situation you describe doesnt sound like fun, and i took mine out and noticed its loaded in white grease.

No, the post that's stuck in my bike is the original post. The aluminum has a chemical reaction with the chromoly steel and bonds to it. NOTHING worked until I found a tip about pulling the cranks out and dumping ammonia down the seat post tube. Apparently the ammonia breaks up the chemical bond between the aluminum and the steel. Must be some truth to it because I DID get it to rotate (with the help of an 18 inch pipe wrench!) and then managed over the course of over and hour to move it out about one whole inch! Wow! It's progress though, and if it rotates that means that it WILL come out. It's NOT fun at all though!

Warner

Attachments

• BrooksB67.jpg
    BrooksB67.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 189
i got one that looks like it would fit a burro (fairly wide) and then had custon gel inserts made that you would be comfortable with on a camp out. ride on mitch

(snip)
Also guys, i understand the suspension post helps alot too? I havent been able to find one in 30.9mm. But I did do some reading and found that shims exist. Would it be ok to use a shim for proper fit on a MB?
:confused:

I found the shims you need, so you can use a 25.4 suspension seatpost: $7 each and in stock: They have any other size you might need as well.
http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=BPC302845

And yes, these would be perfectly fine to use.. its what they are made to do.

Also, did a little searching and finally found a 25.4mm suspension seatpost that is in stock: Pricepoint has the Tamer Honest Abe Suspension Seatpost for $29:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11...=datafeed&utm_campaign=FTP&offer=IN080BB1.htm

Last edited:
Brief Brooks' History

1866 - John Boultbee Brooks established a works in Birmingham for the manufacutring of leather strapping for horse harnesses and general leather goods. Legend has it that a19 years old J.B. Brooks bought himself one of those fangled velocipedes. After riding on it, he found out that the wooden saddle was excruciatingly uncomfortable. Now his father made leather saddles for horses, so he thought of making a leather saddle for his new velocipede. The rest, as they say, is history.

1882 - J.B. Brooks filed his first patent for a spring bicycle saddle, the first of its kind, as J.B. stated: "I was dissatisfied with the present type of saddle, which affords little protection against the shocks of cycling on our uneven roads".

1900's - In the early 1900's Brooks was offering an astonishingly broad range of bicycle saddles and other accessories such as saddle bags, tool bags, saddle back rests, inner tube cases,...

1950's - Brooks was the leading bicycle saddle manufacturer, with a work force of 3.000 people and a weekly production of 80.000 saddles, making a yealry total of over 3.000.000 pieces.

1970's - Less than 30 years ago, Brooks was still a fairly large manufacturer of bicycle saddles, yearly making 1.500.000 pieces.

Today - Brooks sells to over 100 countries special ranges of products have been developed for connoisseurs. Main markets are Germany and the Netherlands, but wherever leisure cycling is on the raise a potential for Brooks exists (France, Italy, Scandinavia...).

The Brooks Brand
Brooks is probably one of the best known brands of bicycle components and accessories, with a glorious history and a dedicated number of followers. The value of the company is strictly related to the fascination of the brand with a potential far higher than its current position.

Attachments

• taliah.jpg
    taliah.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 177
  • plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited by a moderator:
Back