Whizzer H rod bolt retainer wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traveler

Local time
9:00 PM
I recently replaced the rod insert bearings on my Whizzer H engine. I noticed while removing the screws that the retainer wire is missing that helps prevent the allen screws from coming loose. What is a good replacement wire to thread through the allen screws that hold the bottom in place? Would thin music wire work, or should it be more flexible. Thanks for any advice.

Lock wire

Traveler,
There's 2 common sizes of lockwire, .028 and .032. My local Napa carries both sizes. If you can't find it I'll send you some.
Mark

Sorry. I hadn't been on the forum in a few days. I did get the reply. Thanks. I have already bought some 18 gauge steel wire, and am getting it through the small holes in the rod bolts. I've never done this before. I am assuming the bolts need to be tightened first. After they are tightened, the holes are too hard to access.

Hi Traveler,

On most rods the allen bolts usually allow the wire to travel through both holes. It will still hold if you only run the wire in one hole in each rod bolt. Some of the vintage pictures show the wire going completely through the head of each allen and then crossing the bottom of the rod. Other pictures show a single wire entering the allen part of the rod bolt and leaving the bolt via one hole, then bent over to hold it in place.

The most important feature of the safety wire is to have it pull in opposition to the bolt loosening. The wires crossing the bottom of the rod are from a later service bulletin, whereas the early service manual on the "H" motor only has the single wire crossing the rod cap. I will attach the earlier photo to see the difference. The early manual also makes the following comments....."Work from the inside of each connecting rod cap screw--heading outward. Clip off excess wire and turn ends back into screw heads". "Position wire to one side of oil hole and tap with a round back of needle nose pliers so it follows the contour of the rod cap"

The only problem with the early method is if the bolts work loose the wire doesn't stop them soon enough. The method I use keeps pressure against the bolts to stop them from turning much if loose.

I have rebuilt over a hundred vintage motors, and can't remember ever starting with any motor that had the safety wire installed on the insert crankshaft. All of the motors I rebuilt with the roller crankshaft all had safety wires installed. Weird!

If you elect to bend the safety wire over the rod bolts, then make sure it is really stiff wire in order to have it stay in place longer.

The attachment shows the earlier method of installing the safety wire.

Have fun,

Attachments

• Mvc-284f.jpg
    Mvc-284f.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 504
Thanks Quenton,

I appreciate the photo. I was just getting ready to work on that wire today.

I was going to replace the head afterward, and the cam gear and crankcase side plate. I was going to replace the head and side plate bolts, but the hardware store didn't have the lengths I needed. I didn't want to have to cut the bolts to length.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back