Whizzer kit on an Elgin project

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by MaxGlide, Aug 19, 2010.

1. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

Well, notwithstanding my earlier dumb question, here is what I've been working on the last while.
    Got this from a guy off Craigslist in New York and decided to redo her all as the frame had been hand painted and modified and I wanted to make sure she was all sound before I put her back together. Here's what she looked like when I got her.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010

2. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

Whizzer/Elgin cont'

Then I took her apart and photo cataloged everything in order of assembly. Sent moto to Quenton Guenther for a rebuild. Have not started it yet but he says it is running beautifully. The work I can see looks fantastic.

Attached Files:

3. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

Whizzer/Elgin repairs

Then I stripped the frame and took it to a fella for repairs.
    Lower crossbar had been hacked off at one end, bent and braised then rough parts filled with bondo. Took all bondo out and fella repaired and reinforced every place that needed it.
    I will be post more before and after pics in the next few days.

Attached Files:

4. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Keep the pictures coming! Quenton does do a nice rebuild on these motors. I have an H motor that he did and it looks brand new!

Jim

5. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

Yes, keep those pictures coming. It's very interesting to watch the progress.
    Jay

6. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I third the request for continuing this restoration thread!
    The quality of the frame repair looks top notch!
    You appear to be doing a first class job in this one.

7. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

Haven't forgotten the pics..

Few more pics of the process. Found proper forks and color matched the red from inside the steering tube. Made new templates for fork from faded remains of original fork. Color matched cream accent color to the cream from the decals I got from Menotomy Cycles. Fork and frame painted and starting to put things back together. (Green on frame is tape I applied to prevent damaging the paint.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  8. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

My Whizzer was stolen, but....

Well like and idiot I somehow left the garage door open last night and at 5am this morning I went in and the, incomplete, Whizzer was gone. After freaking out for a few minutes, I knew I had to get going and open my coffee shop. I decided to cruise the alleys behind my house on the way to work. I fortunately (this time) live on a street with a big, very steep dip in it. Well you all know how hard a Whizzer is to push, especially if you don't push in the clutch..... lo and behold there was the Whizzer leaning up against a tree at the bottom of the dip!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!! I did loose a small tool kit but I figure its a cheep lesson to beef up up my closing procedures and my security......

On a better note, I am getting more stuff back from painting so more and more of the bike is together, almost there.

Will post pics soon

Wayne

9. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

That is a really bad story that turned out good. Glad to hear you got it back.
    Jay

10. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Holy carp!!! Wow you caught a break there. Now other people know you have a desirable target too so a security increase is definitely in order! Nice recovery.
    BTW it looks great too.

Jim

11. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

At the beginning of your post, you had ME freaked out!
    I am soo glad that you found it! That was an extremely good stroke of luck!
    I also agree with not only making sure that your garage door is closed at night, but also beefing up on the security of your garage.

Thank you for the up-dates on your progress, and it is looking very good!

12. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

Security updated.

Thanks for the shout outs guys.... I sure did dodge a bullet there! Man I walked around all day alternately grinning and cursing myself.

Now I have a motion sensor with alarm, and I've beefed up the garage door and set out new closing routine.

Looking into a complete security system for doors, windows, motion and loud alarm. With my wife's new motorcycle and my four bikes as well as other stuff I gotta stop fooling around.

More pics to come.... she's almost back together!

Cheers.... Wayne

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  13. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

At the shop I used to work at the alarm horn inside the shop space was sooo loud and at just the right pitch, it would drop you to your knees while you cover your ears. Even with your ears covered it was freakishly loud. Ear plugs or sound deadening ear muffs would not help.

14. azbill

azbill Active Member

glad to hear a good outcome :)
    it sux that people are like that tho (bike thieves should be hung from the nearest stout branch)

15. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

More pics for you all.

Well here are a few more pics.

The tank has been painted and the rear fender and rack put back on.

I will have the final photos on in a few days with more details of the build.

For now gotta go back into the garage, take off the carb out. Thought I'd cleaned the tank out properly but looks like paint chips in the glass bowl. I think they are from underneath the gas opening rim. Must have come off when I put the cap on and off.

cheers.... Wayne

Attached Files:

16. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Very nice!
    Keep the pictures coming please.

Jim

17. whizzer48

whizzer48 Member

Mine house alarm is hard wire system. I took a green Led and mount it to a bedroom motion sensor. When on the loop is made. If some one trip a motion sensor in the house it will reset in a couple of sec. But it not on it the garage door open.

18. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

Well project mostly done! More pics

Well the girl is up and running and really looks sharp I think.

Here's what I have left to do.
    - I have a proper chain guard and Elgin rack to be painted cream, with red accents.
    - find parts for Bi-lite headlight and wire up Bi-lite head and tail light.
    - I may eventually get a repop or good condition original.

Wayne

Attached Files:

19. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

More pics.

Now I know there are some things that are not right.

- front drum brake is a new Sturmey Archer, looking for a period correct brake.

Attached Files:

20. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

SWEET! Very nice work. It looks great. Well done!

Jim