Whizzer & the 20th century (A Wake UP CALL)

If you build it THEY will come...

Nice catch Davo!!.. I can tell you've been to the Hollow, or at least read about it. I'm recommending to those in charge, that they accept you as a bonefied member.

Ride to Build,

Dream Weaver

OK guys, I found a loophole. A law from 1965 still on the books in CA says that if you have 4 or more registered vehicles in this state, (does not specify what kind of vehicle) that you don't have to re-register one that you do a motor swap in untill you sell it. Don't believe me?? Arrest me then!! So the Whizzer Stretch is getting a transplant & a minor frame makeover. This is gonna be awesome. A modified Whizzer frame with a 50 cc (still legal in most US states) water cooled 11.3 HP Morini with a NuVinci Planetary right side pedal drive & a direct drive one speed motor driven left side. Kick start & centrifical clutch, freewheeler so it can still cruise the boardwalks. I may need pshyco-help, but it's gonna be a H of a lot of fun!!! I still have 6 more months of one legged re-hap but I just can't quit now.

Morini S- 6.jpg

Build to Live

The urge to splurge and build the baddest, most fastest 49cc bike lives in me also. There was a pocket bike engine on fleabay for a couple hundred bucks that was advertising 14hp and I think it was only a 39cc! In order to get around the water cooling issue though I am going to wait until I get my still going so that I can run it on alkie which runs much cooler and can even shave the fins! So motor, check.

The frame I want to be as strong and light as possible which will preclude the cheap part. My buddy can make me a nice Ti frame perhaps with motor mounts and a Ti tank too. Disc brakes to slow it down also.

I also want a Nuvinci but I want my pedal and moto drive to feed in to the NuVinci. So a some sort of jackshaft system will be in order? I can't use a sick shifter because all that power will mean I'll need a high gear ratio at the cranks to be able to pedal @ top speed so I'll be using a Schlumpf drive too.

Gotta go wake up now.

1965 CA Law

Hi Zomby, I am aware of this law, tho many others might not be. Prior to that law, EVERY time that a car or motorcycle had an engine swap (wore-out, blew-up, whatever), the owner had to go down, have the vehicle inspected, and the registration updated to show the new engine number.

Your registration showed the engine number, and cop could check ANY CA vehicle for correct engine. A lot of Harley Riders got hassled on this one (tho some of those bikes were hot in those days).

As the bodies and frames last almost forever out here, and some of the engines were CACA (remember the Corvair?) there were many legitamate engine swaps, and CA DMV eventually got tired of, or forced into accepting, that they would no-longer be the "keepers of the engine numbers' for the growing population of CA.

Sorry to stick a match to your Zepplin, BUT this does NOT mean that you can even psudo-legally take an under 2hp class vehicle and put 11+HP in it! Not even in a fun dream would that be even close to legal, and the old1965 engine swap law is true today, when I pulled the 235 6cyl out of my 64 chevy panel, and put a 1978 305 v-8 that was legal, and required no paperwork, same with the Model A when I put the 327 in it.

Mike

Sorry to stick a match to your Zepplin, BUT this does NOT mean that you can even psudo-legally take an under 2hp class vehicle and put 11+HP in it! Not even in a fun dream would that be even close to legal,

Mike[/QUOTE]

Legal schmeagle. If you stamp a vin # on it and add the necessary lights and a horn (which I don't see your 138cc "bikes" sporting btw) and register it as a motorcycle then it would be legal. The power to weight ratio possibility of a 40 lb bicycle with a 12hp motor triggers the imagination and will be assembled at some point, even if it is for off road use only and the enjoyment of consenting adults. In fact Easy Rider is already there for the most part.

Dream on boys.

Vin #

The VIN # on a Whizzer is the same on the Frame as the one stamped on the motor. So If questioned, I am actually going from a 138cc to a 50 cc. An environ-mentally good thing.

Not being the biggest crime ever committed, I doubt if any locals will even notice. So like I said before - ARREST ME!! or even easier still - call the Sheriff. 1-800- EAT- **** I'm sure they would give top priority to this crimewave. After I do the time I'll simply re-register it as a Motor Driven Cycle. I think the judge will go easy on me and my big bad 50. By the way thanks for the link Godzilla. This 50 has over 18 HP. Mine will be a street version a little tamer than this one.

big bad 50.jpg

Back