Who has the most miles on there engine

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by nsideus, Jan 25, 2009.

1. nsideus

nsideus Guest

I have 2 Hua Sheng 4-strokes with Grubee gear box one bike has over
    5,000 mi the other is pushing close to 4,000 mi. I would like to here what kinda mileage others have on a single engine 2 or 4-stroke.

2. terrence

terrence Member

4000 HARD mi. Gebe R/S35, im on the 2nd belt. 2nd set of tires.

Attached Files:

3. spunout

spunout Member

now, i really DO NOT care if anyone disbelieves me.

this is a true total: between 16,000 and 18,000 miles on the very first motor ive had. a kingsmotorbikes 70cc.
    this has been ridden, and is still being used to/from work daily for 4 years. until 6 months ago, i lived in tucson, so 'winter' was still 75 degrees.
    only once or twice a month, did i use the car.

16,000 is true, calculated miles to/from work. but i guessed another 2,000miles for weekend riding/errands, etc.

its unheard of. even a well-kept motor doesnt usually last much more than 10,000miles.

replaced a few cdi boxes, a few carb needles, tons of spark plugs, a magneto, and replaced head/jug gaskets.
  4. azbill

azbill Active Member

I believe you...mi amigo :)
  5. Flapdoodle

Flapdoodle Member

Is this something I should be worried about enough to carry a spare?
  6. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

Yeah, how much of that did you have to do on the road?
  7. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Why would anyone not believe you!

From your description, your engine may have roughly 1000 hours of use on it, which isn't an impossible feat from a two stroke engine with hard plated cylinder that was tuned properly and run well within its limits. An old boat of mine logged 1200 hours on a two stroke outboard, with many of those hours spent with the throttle wide open. It was still running strong when I sold it for a bigger boat.

While these imported engine kits may not have a very pretty finish because of the casting method, the bores are usually nicely chrome plated and honed, and have a good fit with the piston - which looks like a decent quality casting and alloy. I think it is because of this hard chrome plating that it takes so long for the engine to fully break-in and perform its best. For me, it seems like power and compression aren't at their best until you have about 25 hours of running time.
  8. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I miss the old kingsmotorbike engines. I never had one as long as you did to know how long they lasted but I can say they were the most powerful Happy Time engine I ever owned. I could climb a steep hill with a 44 tooth sprocket at decent speeds. The newer engines can't do it as well (fast) with a shifter kit with 7 gears to chose from.
  9. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Did you ride slow all the time?
  10. azbill

azbill Active Member

happy (spunout) doesn't believe in going slow...he won the deathrace the last 2 years
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  11. spunout

spunout Member

arrrrgh! that motor is dead, now. there will be no resurrection. say a prayer.
  12. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

RIP little HappyTime.....:icon_cry:

Did it go out with a wimper or a BANG! :shout:
  13. BirthNight

BirthNight Member

are you ever scared of hitting the "reset" button and losing your mileage record!?!?
  14. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

All of the computers I've seen will allow you to set the odometer so you don't lose your mileage in the event you have to change your battery.
  15. azbill

azbill Active Member

I've got almost 4k on this engine (approx 1 year old)
    never babied...ran hard from day one...I work it hard pulling the girls
    never had any probs till about a month ago...seal leaking causing clutch slippage
    much adjusting since it started
    this is a 100$ replacement engine from livefast
    I calculate 2.5cents per mile ownership cost (minus fuel)...can't beat that anywhere else

should have some really good news this week :):):)
  16. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I'm guessing you are becoming an EZM dealer and you are getting your kit?
  17. azbill

azbill Active Member

not sayin :whistling:
    but.. I changed to a 6 inch crank on the Jag :devilish:
  18. spunout

spunout Member

haha. it was more of a "i refuse to run at less than 1/3 throttle, even with new carb, plug, magneto, CDI...anything"

really. tried all new components and yet it just wont stay running unless i'm on the gas. not much for that wonderful power it had, either.

no complaints. 4 years and around 15,000miles. not bad. not bad at all
  19. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Sounds like it is just plain worn out.

If the bore looks like the plating isn't flaking off, hone it and buy a new piston/ring set. You might get some more miles out of it! I think you have the record for HT engine longevity!
  20. spunout

spunout Member

i didnt know you could hone it, seeing its a Nikasil lining and not steel-sleeved. but i got nothing to lose, so i'll try it. whats the worst that could happen...i mess it up? :ack2: