Who here rides a non motorized bike regularly still?

Percentage of Motoredbike riding to regular bike riding

• 50% Motor 50% bike same bike

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • 75% Motor 25% bike same bike

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • 50% motor 50% bike different bikes

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • 75% motor 25% bike different bikes

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • 100% motor 0% non engined bike collecting dust

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
I still mostly ride my un-motorized bikes. This is my long-range bike, and this is my around-town bike. On the recumbent: ~30 miles is a typical ride, ~50 miles is tiring and 75 miles is pretty long, but it is possible to do.

I think it could be possible to build a motorized bike that was really good for pedaling as well, but the engine still adds 10 lbs of dead weight, which is quite a lot when you're providing the power....

Also the motorized bike I built looks like an antique motorcycle, which I think looks cool but really isn't that great for pedaling long distances. If I HAD to build such a bicycle, I would find a way to rig up the GEBE engine below the recumbent's seat somehow.
~

I'm actually contemplating a BMX bike like the junker I had back in the day. Yes,pedaling would be harder than back in the day. Yes,climbing hills would be near impossible. But maybe. Just maybe if I use it for short errands and use it enough. Maybe. Just maybe I can zig zag that big hill like I did when I was 14.
But mountain bikes I can get for under 20 bucks. But I think I can get a better workout on that BMX.
..or maybe fix up that trike and use that for a while.

I commute on an old Schwinn Continental with flat handlebars, no motor. Its less than a mile each way, and I need the exercise. Plus the pedal bike is lightweight compared to the ebike and easy to pedal, and if it gets stolen, oh well I am out the $2 I paid for it at the garage sale. I only motor - bicycle once a week or two with my ebike.

large,
i have several 5 speed 20" bmx,s in my garage right now

they were just thrown away

that may make the hills not bite so hard

mike

I fixed up my trike today and gave it some paint. bugabike.jpg
I also greased the coaster. The brake cable rusted out. Need to get another one. New tubes. Yes. That's a drum front brake. Yes. Those are SERIOUSLY thick spokes. This bike belonged to my buddy. He was a pretty hard to please developmentally disabled man that I befriended right away when we first met. He was disturbing other people I was training in at another dorm and he would not budge and sat on a rug. Then when we were all proceeding to drag that rug so he can go to the other dorm he persisted to slam me on my head with his sony cassette walkman over and over and over again. Yea. I loved that guy. He ruled HUGE. He passed away OMG was it 3 years already? Too much sentimental value this trike. This trike will NEVER leave me. No way.
He always called everybody he liked Buggy and he always called me "Da".
So I will call this the Buggy a Buggy Da Buggy bike. He talked like that. Did I mention how cool he was? So many free slurpees... they just wanted him gone... then he high 5's me at the parking lot. I miss that guy,man.
So this will be my cardio bike. I can hold some cases of water back there. Maybe I'll bring it up so it will be like a shopping cart.
It has 36/20 gearing so easy to pedal. It's weird riding this bike for it feels like it wants to pull to the right,but that's the drive wheel side and to ride this trike you have to let go of your balance this is rather hard to do and just steer.
Yup. This is my cardio bike.... you KNOW a friction drive's gonna go on that front wheel. :D
It's Murphy's Law or something.
That bike would sure to be rather hard to lock up properly,though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a six speed crusier with the gebe. To my dismay at 20 mph I cannot assist
with the pedals because my feet cant go fast enuff. I just put a 54 tooth front sproket
on (up from 46) and now at motored speeds I still assist the engine to get a little
cardio on my way to work. Higher pedal gearing with the MB is the way to go.
Plus since I always pedal now with the motor I look natural and not motorized (stealth)

My pedal only bike has dust and cobwebs on it ( I just don't use it now )

A

I voted for 100% motor, non engined bike collecting dust.

I'd say I use the motor 90% of the time, coast 7% of the time, pedal 3% of the time. I start pedaling when I see a cop (motor bicycles aren't legal in Michigan). I work late once a week. When I leave my job at midnight I use the motor half of the time. I pedal on flat roads, and coast down hills. I fire up the engine when I have to climb hills. I'm trying to keep a low profile. I have not been pulled over yet. I been motorized for over 3 months, and put on a few thousand miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 8295
Yup. This is my cardio bike.... you KNOW a friction drive's gonna go on that front wheel. :D
It's Murphy's Law or something.
That bike would sure to be rather hard to lock up properly,though.

Hey, LF. That's a pretty sturdy looking trike. Simple in design and very functional and looks compact. It'll probably outlast that engine you plan on front mounting. ;)

Have you looked at the padded cable at your local hardware store? Can get them in any length and they also sell the crimping kits for each size. You could make a custom cable and use one of those bike "U" locks with it. Pretty bullet proof security system. :)

I kinda wish the bike lanes were a bit wider, where I ride. The "spookiest" part of my ride, going and coming, is over a bridge. There's no bike lane and the sidewalk is too narrow for a trike. Well, maybe with an engine I could get over that short bridge and on to the bike lane in short order. It's at the bottom of a hill so I'd be crossing it at 35+mph. Cars average 45. The speed limit in that area is supposed to be 25mph. :rolleyes:

I ride my electric tricycle for around 75% of the time because it gets used for shopping and going to the hardware store etc etc. My tricycle is my car replacement for around the town type tasks and I've got it geared so I can pedal along too and get some exercise without wearing myself out too fast.
Because I like bicycles I own a small fleet of elderly English bicycles and these get ridden in between times for the sheer fun of it.
Having a motor push or pull you about is certainly helpful when it comes to carrying large loads, but I still enjoy the buzz I get from riding one of my old lightweights or ladies sports bicycles. When I walk I need a walking stick, but once I'm on a bicycle I'm free and I can go fast without missteps or wobbles :D

Back