Who is good to buy heavy duty wheels from ???

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Porkchop, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

I'm looking to buy a 26" rear wheel with 12ga. spokes. I'm motorizing a vintage 1972 Schwinn Collegiate 5 speed bike with a Grudee 50cc. The bike is in near mint condition and is in 100% factory original. Amazing how this bike has survived 37 years and is all original. Of course, I have completely disassembled the bike, cleaned it thoroughly, replaced all bearings, tires and tubes, brake pads and all brake hardware, had both wheels adjusted and trued and am in the precess of re-assembling it. I do not want to ruin the original back wheel. I seem not to have good luck with the "SEARCH" option on this site. I did check before posting. Please post any reputable vendors.
    I've attached a few photos so you can see what this bike looks like. And the photos were taken before I cleaned it up.

Thanks !

..... PC .....

Attached Files:

2. biken stins

biken stins Member

3. Hawk

Hawk Member

4. srjeeper

srjeeper New Member

5. loquin

loquin Active Member

FYI. at least one person has had problems with BikePartsUSA.
  6. ocscully

ocscully Member

S-6 rims could cause problems with availability?

I think you are not going to have much luck finding a set of prebuilt wheels with 12g spokes to fit your bike. Most all the heavy duty wheels that are easily available are all built on the 26 in S-2 spec. rim, and if I'm not mistaken what you have is a 26 in. S-6 spec. rim. Even though both claim to be 26 in., they aren't the same 26 in. To get a pair of wheels with 12g spokes using the S-6 rims is probably going to require going the hand build route thru your local bike shop unless you decide to try and build them yourself.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  7. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

What is S-6 actually. I know that's what my bike has on it. Is that something unique to Schwinn ? I remember when I was a kid I always heard only Schwinn tires will fit Schwinn wheels. I know Schwinn no longer makes tires. I went throught heck and high water a few weeks finding correct tires for this bike. I'll be the first to tell you the universal tires from Wallyworld will not fit. They were a joke. I don't care to much about the wheel I replace mine with as long as it will work and fit so I don't ruin the original.
    And yes, I may have to just buy another wheel and rebuild it with 12ga. spokes, which can be a pain. Having to drill out all the holes in the hub and wheel. But I will if I have to.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  8. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I have dealt with the Schwinn tire only fits a Schwinn rim before. It is true for the older models. It was highly frustrating. Not anymore.
    Now a days Schwinn is owned by Pacific Bicycles, a Chinese conglomerate. Other that the paint scheme, my Atlas Industrial looks identical to a couple of Schwinn models, as do a few Huffys.
    They all come from one company, Pacific Biycycles.
    Made in Taiwan, R.O.C.
  9. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I don't mean to upset you,, but I don't consider that bike to be a good candidate for motorizing. This is MY opinion, now.
    Yes, S-6 is a distinctive Schwinn rim design. Always buy tires designated for S-6 bikes to go on those rims. Even if you tried to rebuild the wheel with thicker spokes, you still are limited in choices of tires to use, which are going to be the skinny tires. Cruiser type bikes seem to be the best candidates. to motorize. Plus, who wants to go very fast on such skinny tires ?? NOT me !
    You can continue to restore as original & you will have a super nice bike for normal bike riding.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Might be cheaper to buy a Grubee GT1 bike and just use the wheels and tyres which are pretty good - double walled alloy 12g galv spokes (sadly not stainless) and a good tyre but I don't like galv spokes.
  11. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I like my 11ga (.120") spoke Husky wheels. About $85 including shipping, but I use rim brakes- that price is for a quality standard front and a Shimano coaster hub.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2009
  12. augidog

augidog Banned

no decent tire choices with special wheel sizes

the old schwinns' with proprietary wheel-sizes are easily "converted" to standard 26" wheels...it's likely you'll need to change the brake calipers, or completely switch to a coaster rear/drum front. a coaster rear will require maybe a small mod to the kit-sprocket.

i have made multiple purchases of those basic 12G steel wheels from bikepartsUSA w/o problems, but if you're hesitant there are many other sources.

there is one wheelset i know meets your needs, but it's spendy...Golden Eagle offers a "velocity" SS 12G freewheel rear wheel & front SS 14G sturmey-archer drum: http://www.bikeengines.com/orderpage2.htm (scroll down for wheels)

this conversion is a bit of a "can-o-worms" but will be solid, safe, and reliable when you're finished...imo, the frame is built well and will hold up to a HT just fine.
  13. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Not upsetting me at all. Personally I don't think any bike is a candidate for these engines if you know what I mean. Tires aren't a problem or an issue for my bike. I found out how to buy the correct ones. My local Schwinn dealer that's been in business for over 30 years has knowledgable mechanics. They gave me the correct tires. They verified that I had done my homework on that issue about how how to measure the rims and how to read the spec numbers on tires. When I bought new tires from them, I took the original wheel and the tire with me. They assured it was correct, and they did match the spec. numbers that I had already figured exactly. Chinese and Indians have been riding moterized bikes similar to my Collegiate for many decades. Shoot, I might end up dumping this build. I don't want to mess up a great condtion, good 'ole American bike. To nice of a bike for that. Way to nice ! As far as restoring it, not much to do. Paint, chrome and SS steel, alloy such as brake calipers and levers were in great shape to start with. I just replaced all the bearings and tires, along with new cables. Bike was bisassembled to the bare frame, every piece has been thuroughly cleaned and polished and lubricated. Basicly just a good clean up and servicing. Thanks for the reply and input !

..... PC .....
  14. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Thanks !

Thanks to all that have posted. Feel free to post more, anyone. All iinfo, thoughts or whatever are greatly appreciated !

..... PC .....
  15. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Once, I put the motor in my avatar on the front of a skinny-tired bike. Florida roads were too rough to ride, like that. Plus, you have to go down sandy, limerock roads to get to my house, so no traction. I love the old Schwinns, etc., & don't alter them.
  16. ocscully

ocscully Member

Sheldon Brown on Tire Sizing

Here is a link to what Sheldon Brown has to say about tire sizing methods. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html He does a much better job explaining these things than I ever could.

17. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Thanks for doing my work for me. I was going to post that very site. That's where I learned what I know, and so far I've found out his method works quite well.