Who is / was a photographer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KilroyCD, May 6, 2009.

1. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

A few of us got a bit off-topic on a thread in the Whizzer section. It turns out the three of us (Hal the Elder, BonitaPanther and myself) either are or were photographers. I used to do a fair bit of aviation photography from the mid 1980s until around 2002. I'm now trying to get back into aviation photography as time allows, but lately I just haven't had all that much time. I've also recently dabbled a bit with equine photography.
    Is anyone else out there a photographer?
    Below are some aircraft shots plus a shot of my gf's Fresian.

Attached Files:

2. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

WOW! Those are some great shots Kilroy!
    Don't know if I could do such photography! I love flying but man some of those shots give me vertigo!

Here are a couple of recent landscapes. I am still in awe of the land here in Florida. Recently moved down here from Boston.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  3. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Thanks Steve! Thinking back, some of the things I used to do to get the right shot make me shudder today. I would sometimes hang halfway out of an aircraft (like I did with the shot of the PT-23 below) so the wing strut or other part of the camera plane wouldn't get in the picture, and I didn't always wear my parachute!
    Here are some more shots.

Attached Files:

4. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Steve, great shots! You definitely have an abundance of great photo subjects there in Florida. I especially like the misty morning shot.

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Warbirds, eh, Kilroy?

Some beautiful shots there. I did action photography many years ago for a local newspaper, school games and such. I did get some great shots of a really intense fire that destroyed an old feed mill and silo farm in my home town - one in which I caught the top of one silo as it blew off when the grain dust inside reached ignition temperature. That conical sheet metal top went almost 300 feet straight up, came dow and landed point first in the center of the tank on a pumper fire truck. What a mess.

Wish I still had those pics, but they are long, long gone, and the paper has changed owners 4 times since then.

6. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Simon, it would have been great to see those shots. The fire shots you spoke of really sounded spectacular. What kind of equipment did you use at the time? My aircraft shots were all shot with a variety of Canons through the years, TX, FTB, AL-1, AV-1 and AE-1P. I still use the AL-1 and AE-1P when I shoot film and I'm presently shooting digital with a Kodak Z710 compact SLR. Sometimes, during WWII living history events I'll pull out my Speed Graphic 4x5 press camera or one of my old Argus "A" series cameras. I love the soft, vintage look to the photo the Argus AA gives (appropriate enough, as the camera is 68 years old), as seen in the shot below.

Attached Files:

7. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

Kilroy
    Those were some incredible shots you had I love pictures of those old planes

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I used an old Pentax SLR for most of my photography, but the fire shots I got with an old Olumpus Pen-F. I got to digging through some old junk today, and found some old negatives and contact sheets. Be darned if I don't have the negatives for a B&W photo essay I did of our mutt chasing a young gelding we had, then the gelding chasing him. Won 2nd place in a photo competition with that years and uears ago.

None of the fire photos, darn it.

9. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

Kilroy! Those pictures Rock!
    I bet you could sell copies of them to collectors!

Thanks for the compliment. I am one of those that shoots everything and the camera is always with me no matter where I go....

I will post some more random stuff soon.....

10. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Spitfires

Guys, thanks for the kind words. I have so many shots on slide that I can't scan in (at this point in time) but I'd love to share. I'll have to look at my latest Freestyle Photo catalog to see if they have anything that would allow me to scan slides. I'll go through more of my prints at some point in time to scan more in.
    I'm a huge fan of the Supermarine Spitfire, which was one of the best fighters of WWII. When I first joined this site back in 2006, I joined under the user ID of Spitfire 14e. (When I my old computer died I lost the site bookmark and all my saved info, so I rejoined under KilroyCD). http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=3736
    The first photo is of a Spitfire Mk.XIVe (14e) sitting on the apron at Duxford in 2000. The second photo is of a Spitfire Mk.VIII taken in heavy haze at Oshkosh, Wisconsin in 1994 (I believe). The photo quality is not too great because it is a scan of a photo taken from a slide. The third and fourth are of a Spitfire Tr.9 taken at Oshkosh in 1991. That was an exciting photo sortie, as I shot those photos from the rear seat in a P-51D (Big Beautiful Doll). The only thing is that I had to be extra careful to not scratch the inside of the canopy with my lens!

Attached Files:

11. Thatperson

Thatperson Member

I'm a bit of an amateur photographer. I have a website you can look at if you want. It's www.sdr.vze.com

KilroyCD, you have some really good shots there. I would love to shoot planes, but I don't have any way of doing that unless I grow some wings or win the lottery!

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  12. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

You're a BIT of a photographer??? I am humbled in your presence. Those are truly awe inspiring photos. The wildlife shots are gorgeous, and I nearly shorted out my keyboard due to my drool pool while looking at the automobiles. Extraordinary work!

13. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

Love the old cars photos!!!!
    Excellent!!!!

14. Thatperson

Thatperson Member

Thank guys! Just to let you know, for every good shot, there are about 100 bad.

15. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

as a teacher once told me
    "photographers don't make mistakes, they frame them!"

16. Thatperson

Thatperson Member

Well if I'm suppose to frame the bad ones I better get busy! I have quite a few to get printed. Check out this pic showing the contents of my photo folder.

[​IMG]

17. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

LOL
    looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you!
    I make extra money submitting to stock sites, have any of you joined any of them?
    I have the best paying ones listed on the link page of my site if anyone is interested.

18. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Steve, what are some of those stock sites, if I might ask?

19. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

Here is the link to my page. All the sights are free to the photographers/ artists. Basically you fix up your pics, add keyword and descriptions, upload and the agencies do the selling...once they sell enough, they send you money... I love it, I belong to almost 10 agencies.
    I am giving you the links page so that if anyone signs up, the agency will know i sent them.
    the list is in the middle column of the page....
    http://www.saophoto.com/links/index.html

20. Thatperson

Thatperson Member

Are there no other people out there that like taking pictures? I know it's not a very popular hobby with the masses, but I thought that there might be more than just 3 of uson this site! :stuart: