who listens to mp3 player

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by vegaspaddy, Jul 15, 2008.

listen to tunes

1. yes

6 vote(s)
  2. no

7 vote(s)
  1. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

i was wondering how many riders listen to an mp3 or similiar device while riding their bike. I commute around 60-70 miles a week and since its the same route, keeping to the quieter streets i listen to tunes to pass the time.

When i get a chance to ride in my freetime i dont use the mp3 player and try and enjoy the scenery and watch the hills (tumble weeds) roll by.

2. No way Dawg. Too dangerous out there. Other people with MP3 players can't hear you coming as it is. Why deafen yourself too?
  3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I have thought about it, and I've been tempted.

but it's clearly just asking for trouble. so I've never done it and I'm pretty sure I never will.
  4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Not to mention, in most jurisdictions it is flat illegal, and lots of cops will stop you for it.
  5. jared3377

jared3377 Member

Yeah, too dangerous... I like to keep me ears as open as possible to hear approaching traffic (especially from behind).
  6. MasterLink

MasterLink Member

i use to listen on my road bike and realy get into the zone ..but i tryed it on my mb just cant get into it to much goin on in my head at the time ...next thing iam goin to do is to get a amp and speakers set up to play my mp3 on
  7. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I used to listen while riding my 2 wheel. With the trike, I'm just getting over obsessively listening for engine/drive train problems. Now I'm obsessing about a squeak in the chassis (I think the inside front right bearing is going bad). After I gain confidence in the ride, I'll probly start listening to tunes while I ride.
  8. datz510

datz510 Member

I wouldnt listen to an mp3 player on a bike unless it was one that had seperate speakers that you could somehow mount on the handlebars. That way you can hear traffic around you while your cruisin' and jammin' the tunes.
  9. sparky

sparky Active Member

I haven't done it yet... but I wouldn't see the problem with using some lightweight, open headphones where sound can leak both inward and outward. iBuds that do not allow sound to leak inward is still not quite a deathwish, but I do prefer to use all of my senses at all times when a car/truck could sideswipe me.

Something like a Koss KSC75 is what I'm talking about. It's my portable, open can for exercising and stuff. If you keep the volume down, you should only barely be able to hear your tunes over the engine and other ambient noise. I highly recommend that all of you try these KSC75s (the seller on the right side of the amazon page is actually cheaper than amazon sells 'em for, so you don't have to get more than 1 to get free shipping). If there is anything I know, it's that they give out great sound, and they're extremely comfortable. The only people who shouldn't find them comfortable are people without earlobes... and even then, you can find a cheap headband to put the foamy drivers on (I have earlobes, but I prefer the headband for easy on-off access). Oh yea, people who regularly wear glasses might also find the earclips a bit cumbersome also. Get them, and you'll rediscover your music. The whole problem with the headband is that you can't wear a helmet easily, if at all... the KSC clips would prolly work with most helmets, I'd believe. They slide over your ears just like glasses, so there shouldn't be a problem, and you'll still be able to hear your surrounding.

Anyway, deaf people are allowed to drive because driving is a visual process. Deaf people prolly drive better than my friends who blast their system every chance they get, and they're all actually pretty good drivers too. I'd actually say that blasting music is better than no music... because I'll fall asleep in a car without music, and I certainly don't want my senses going into shutdown mode.

So, isolation is bad... it's why lots of us ride MBs in the first place. But get the KSC75 to use on MB or not... it's the best value in headphones, and everyone loves its sound.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Yes, driving is primarily a visual process. And yes, deaf people are allowed to drive - but in most states their licenses require specific visual aids - too wit, larger/additional rearview mirrors. In addition, deaf people do not have the auditory distraction of music in their ears - ears which, for them, are NOT an accustomed source of environmental cues as to hazards approaching.

Using headphones to jam wit' the tunes as you ride is increasing the risks of an already risky process - almost as badly as using a cell phone while riding/driving does. It is inherently risky behavior piled upon an already (in a mixed traffic travel space) risky mode of transport.
  11. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

MP3 while riding? I won't. Too dangerous. I listen to MP3's while walking, though.
  12. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

Conditionally, yes I use them.

I show a photo of me using them about 23 years ago. I was way out of town and traffic was light. For you Arizona people you may recognize this as the rim area climbing from Payson almost to Strawberry AZ. I never blast my ears out with volume and can usually hear approaching cars. I also use a mirror these days to assist in rear vision. Actually here my reception was bad or I was tired of the music so they are hanging around my neck. Kinda old school radio headphones.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  13. I'm with Van as to listening to my bike. Even when it's perfect I have to listen to my ride. It's like within my bike is a bunch of little people relaying to my body and my ears every second that everything is a okay.
    They are my friends.
  14. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

It's good to listen to the Little People..!!
  15. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

1 ear with an ear bud.
  16. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

HUH what did you say? I cant hear you.
  17. sparky

sparky Active Member

I am against earbuds even in just one ear... but I *really* need to get some kinda miror for my MB.

I'm gonna try the KSCs w/ headband tomorrow... and I'm doubitng that I'll get run over. So long as I stop at all stop signs, yield at all yield signs, etc... I think I'll make it.
  18. kerf

kerf Guest

I'm trying to mount an 8 track on my bike, can't seem to get the brackets right.