Who makes the best friction kit? (and other questions)

Stinger Id check into a bigger oem tank that will give you fewer headaches. The mounting holes on your tank dont look very friendly to a bike frame.

That's a dead easy install on the Staton friction drive. (he won't be mounting it on the frame, darwin) I have a Mitsubishi TLE43 staton friction drive. I would recommend the tank. I installed this one (it's a little bigger, at 96 oz, but he's out of stock right now) right on top of the main channel. Note that mine has that little boss that protrudes from the bottom of the tank. I drilled three holes in the top of the channel, bolted the I-bolts to the tank, then, the I-Bolts to the frame. You don't over-tighten the I-Bolts - that would stress the plastic. Just snug the tank down.

If you want to color match the tank, get a spray can of the plastic 'fusion' paint at the hardware store. The stuff than bonds to plastic. If you want to still easily see the fuel level, place a strip of masking tape vertically on the tank before painting it, & remove the tape after spraying.

I haven't seen the Dimension edge Kit first hand (picture below,) but, with the linkage to raise & lower it with the handle up front, it would be a more complex install. Plus, I don't like the idea of a metal handle sticking up in front of me. I could envision impaling myself on it. In any event, I can't imaging that the kit is better quality than staton's. The Staton built stuff is rock solid.

The three pics below are as follows.
  • The first pic is the D/E kit, from their site.
  • The second one is the Staton kit, installed, with the tank you're considering, as well as the optional dual engagement system. If I were buying mine today, I would add the dual locking mechanism, especially if there's any potential off-road riding, or major potholes.
  • The third pic is my bike, with the 96 oz. tank installed. (If you look close, I put 6 of the adhesive backed clear silicone rubber bumpers (feet) on the underside of the tank, to provide a little spacing under it before bolting it into place.) I removed my existing tank, but, I really wouldn't have had to. You can hook up the tanks in series, so that you can run the big tank dry, and still have the 30 miles in the existing tank as the emergency fuel. (I may reinstall mine.)

Attachments

• two%20barrel%20engine.JPG
    two%20barrel%20engine.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Staton Dual Engagement w Tank.jpg
    Staton Dual Engagement w Tank.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 281
  • PICT0005a.JPG
    PICT0005a.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
BTW astring - have you seen the 'fuel faucet?' It's available for 3 bucks or so, and you won't make a mess when refilling. There's a little hole on the back side of the cap - put your finger on that hole, and the fuel stops flowing.

Attachments

• pourspout300.gif
    pourspout300.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 256
BTW astring - have you seen the 'fuel faucet?' It's available for 3 bucks or so, and you won't make a mess when refilling. There's a little hole on the back side of the cap - put your finger on that hole, and the fuel stops flowing.

where did you get that? (very cool)

thanks alot mountainman. you have pushed me over the fence here. i am going to order the same thing you have, except with a 1 1/8 roller and dual engaging supports. :D

shall i order anything else at the same time guys? what about a bigger tank or a different throttle?

stringer -- Sounds like you are about ready to order up. As far as a bigger tank - yes the little tanks they come with don't get you to far - I started using my water bottle for extra gas - works pretty good. I didn't order the twist throttle - kind of wonder if maybe I should have ? If you don't want to pull the little throttle lever with your finger or fingers - fingers tire - it can get old - you might want to consider the twist throttle... Don't know how much riding you will be doing - I have been putting on some miles lately - Kevlar tires should be long lasting... Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Thanks for all this great info!!

i really like that 96oz tank you have loquin. I will just wait for it to become available. untill then ill get one of these fuel bottles with a faucet, what a great idea.

i ended up getting the staton 1 1/8 w/EH035, twist grip for EHO35, extra couple air cleaners, and the optional dual engaging supports. what is the dual locking mechanism and do i need it? I thought i had everything :-/

Stringer, That's the EXACT same setup I just installed on my bike. The 1-1/8 roller takes my 200lb self 25mph so far...not wide open yet; still breaking in. I found the twist throttle a little unimpressive but functional. My kill switch didn't work...had to modify the contact screw underneath. Will upgrade that soon. I should have gotten one of the aftermarket twist grips w/ kill switch. AHhh, hindsight. You won't be disappointed tho. I too am waiting for Dave to get the larger fuel tank in stock too.
Let us know how it comes out for you.
WC

Stringer, That's the EXACT same setup I just installed on my bike. The 1-1/8 roller takes my 200lb self 25mph so far...not wide open yet; still breaking in. I found the twist throttle a little unimpressive but functional. My kill switch didn't work...had to modify the contact screw underneath. Will upgrade that soon. I should have gotten one of the aftermarket twist grips w/ kill switch. AHhh, hindsight. You won't be disappointed tho. I too am waiting for Dave to get the larger fuel tank in stock too.
Let us know how it comes out for you.
WC

this is great. that sounds like a good speed. do you have a link for the twist grip with killswitch? how do you know which ones will work on your bicycle. i will definately update with pics when i get everything. thanks.

Stringer,
Don't have an exact link, but check for Boygofast or other ebay bike engine sellers' stores. Also, pocket bike parts sites. They all sell them.
WC

Back