Who rides without chain guards ?

No guard or tensioner on my chinamobile! Less weight and parasidic drag makes her faster.

The Chitty Chitty Bang Bang cars were built to set world speed records with V12 aircraft engines.
Chitty Bang Bang #4 had chain drives to each rear wheel.
Myth has it that at speed the driver heard a noise and looked over the side as the chain let go.

As a consideration, the wider pedal crank helps get your legs clear of hazards.
I usually wear tights too, but that`s not for everyone...lol

I think I'm just going to take another link out , the whole tension thing does not feel safe. And my bike was quiet this morning plus I did full nuts and bolts check too

The Guard is cool for looks but I took mine off and ride with my left pants leg inside my socks. Lol

20170210_153935.jpg

I have never used one unless it's for looks on a cool bike . cut the Gard to fit once or twice . I got a box of New Gard's like 10 of them . thay can brake or make noise form the chain hitting just one more thing to go wrong.but done right can last and look nice.
I like to use chain guards on most builds!

I think a guard puts a nice 'finished look' on a cruiser bike by covering up the chain like it is on the right, color matching is a bonus.

Of course they are called 'Chain GUARDS' for a reason...
That whole 'safety thing" the topic posters asked about...

The same reason why almost any spinning chain or belt mechanism has a guard around it, it's to keep you and your clothes out of it!
I know this 1st hand, but I'm not mister doom and gloom today!

It's pretty easy to fit a kit left chain guard to your frame with a pair of tin snips and a rubber coated bracket.

Once you know where you want the back, you can cut out whats in the the way.

2_1937doneLeftt-1280.jpg

(sorry, interrupted) I will more info later but it works well.

Another nice bike
Thanks Jim.
I just use a coated clamp like this to mount to the frame, and then screw the guard to the flat side.

2904_primary_225px.jpg

That bike would have looked 'unfinished' without a nice left chain guard with this on the right.

1937doneRightRearLow.jpg

Anyway, a good pair of tin snips you can put a left side chain guard on bike with full fenders and 2+" wide tire.

2_ApeHangPanteraLdone1280.jpg

Cut the chain guard to fit the tire, and the fender to fit the chain guard.
NOTE about cutting the guard, cut a \_/ to clear the tire, and cut the sharp point off the bending piece and BEND it in to a round edge, this will protect your tire should the two meet.

Cut off any straggling guard out the back, and if you don't have a coated bracket, a couple of zip ties hold it.
Zip ties however will stretch and rattle over time, a coated bracket never rattles ;-}

One more note since it is a good pic for the chain tensioner...

The chain stay on this frame is not straight with the chain.
Most aren't.

All you do is mount the tensioner's lower parts where they need to go, the way they need to go to be pointing straight up, to the chain stay, and then use a crescent wrench to twist the single piece that goes up from there to make the wheel in line with the chain.

Hope that helps ya EZ, good luck on the build ;-}

Last edited:
Back