Who uses a motored bike as a daily commuter?

I'm bummed in the morning when it's raining and I can't ride. If it dries up during the day at work, I'm kicking myself for not having ridden.

I would say I've ridden about 500 miles now. I blew a gel tube in the rear. It literally exploded and after stuffing it with dirt and leaves and limping it home I replaced the tubes with those solid rubber tubes. The front rim wasn't an original diamond back rim and fit the solid tube well,but the back rim was an original diamond back and it seems these rims are fairly narrow for the solid tubes to work. And the spokes kept getting loose a whole lot. So I replaced that fancy quick release rear rim with a thrift store huffy rim. Wouldn't you know that sproket mounted right up with absolutely no spokes getting in the way (The diamond back rim had two obstructions necessitating having to bend it out a little which explains probably the spoke troubles) and the spokes are still tight. The solid tubes is smooth when your only peddling but at speed with engine you can feel a little bump bump bump...but knowing I will NEVER AGAIN change a flat tire is all worth it and I'm used to it now anyway.
Then my magneto went out and I ordered from Dax and right away sent me a magneto and coil and my troubles went away.
I know now to just go over there cause I don't live too far in case of emergency for parts which is amazingly cool but when I have change again,I'm ordering another magneto (other coil is still good) to stay in my tool box. It's scary when your just riding along and with absolutely no warning like a switch you go from hero to zero!
And my rear motor mount loosened up to the point where I lost my nuts and bracket so I made another one and double nutted the #6 nuts with lock washers and I check it daily and all is still well. Up front those studs were replaced with bolts and another nut and lock washer to keep things tight.
500 miles. I think it's good now. Yesterday my speedo read 30 mph! I think it's all broken in now!
I love my bike. I named it. His name is Moop. It's a dude.

I only have a 7.5 mile commute each way. Living in a small rural community, I can go pretty much in a straight line on the bike, instead of following the highway that curves and winds itself. about 9 miles by car. It takes only a couple minutes longer on the bike, not bad considering my 30-35mph top speed. Its alot funner going down a cotton field, or ditch bank road at 30 than 100 on the highway. And no tickets on the bicycle!

The best part is no parking issues. I just pull it right up to the bike rack, lock it up and walk the 10' into my office. or drive arround one of the parking lots looking for a free place then only to walk 1/4 mile to the office. When I go home I motor passed my office mates as they walk to there cars. I love it!

i go a good 15 miles one way daily on my bike to school and work i ride in any kind of weather all i do is get my big leathers on and they keep me very warm i just slow down a little in the rain and attach the skis in the winter

45mil a day man and more just for fun i love wkeing up in the morning at 420 not to smoke thats what time i get up at to go to work and go riding in the open streats for 10mil and not a person in sight ah i love it

my only transportation

work x2 =17 miles,but pleasure riding usually 100 a week .

Sorry 'bout the OT, but I can't help it. I used go to San Luis a couple of times a year. Learned to surf in Morro Bay. Fond memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Anita almost daily, no major problems as yet really but then I have only done a few miles (in total about 140km approx) although I do ride mainly on the engine - that will probably drop off when it gets warmer and my legs reset themselves to cycling not walking (I have also inherited the family knees *sigh*)

Only real issue has been that **** killswitch - mine is now totally knackered... because at first all I got was electric shocks from it - took me a while (and taking it to bits) to realise that earth wont earth if there are two **** large bits of rubber between it and the frame *sigh*. Now I have a handlebar setup that will work I cant get the thing to do anything else but short (ie, grounded without pressing the button).

Strangely the speed seems to top out at the moment at just under 30mph - I dont know if the exhaust has caused back pressure problems or its just not run in, but it runs nicely... the biggest problem is idiots who dont look or think that I *want* to be rammed into the kerb at 25+mph :censored:

Jemma xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Jemma, have you ever considered one of those compressed air can horns? That should let them know you are there. Similar to an 18 wheeler horn, but higher pitch. You could mount it to your handlebar and have a horn similar to a automobile horn, but louder!!!

Back