Who / what to avoid.

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by kerf, May 10, 2008.

1. kerf

kerf Guest

As a couple recent of post have reminded me, there are the unscrupulous among us just waiting to pounce from under their rock on the unsuspecting. There are many vendors within our community that run honest businesses and we need a way to help those new to the sport know whom to trust and whom to avoid. Nothing fancy, maybe a vendor listing that members can grade (1 to 5 ???) and run an average rating for each vendor. I'm not thinking long drawn out post, full of juicy details, just a way to gauge customer satisfaction.

With so many new people finding us and MB's, do we really want their first experience to be a train wreck? I don't believe that will help the community to grow.

2. Were actually discussing this at the mod forum.
    Were thinking of how we can make this unbiased. Like were discussing a possible rule that vendors cannot chime in and nothing on the polls would be confidential so we know who did what rating. Any other suggestions to this please chime in for it would be a great resource to the Motoredbike Newb,and we don't like to see bad experiences.
    But at the same time,I hope a thread like this doesn't escalate into more drama.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2008
  3. kerf

kerf Guest

My thinking would be categories such as, service before the sale, service after the sale, product satisfaction, delivery response etc. All rated on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the best. All scores within each category would be averaged into a mean score. The screen name of the poster would be listed but no verbiage, just numbers.

4. augidog

augidog Banned

unless you allow for a way to express opinion on character, the "poll" can't be unbiased...it will just evolve into another sales tool for the vendors...haven't y'all had enuff of that yet?

5. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

ya! what augidog said! rabid vendor issues, sheesh!! i yearn for the less vendor clutter motoredbikes.com. of yesteryear!!

6. kerf

kerf Guest

Threads are for opinion, this should have a place for a number. Haven't you seen what happens to so called polls on this site, they turn into a soap opera.
    Little data can be collected in a soap box environment.

7. Yea I'm tired of the drama too. I mean newbs can simply just ask us what we think is the best kit. Newbs have already asked that from us and we've given them some good answers. This grade system for vendors just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

8. augidog

augidog Banned

so, members who are dedicated to the original "consumerism" of MBc can be a huge help by posting honest (brutally honest...after all, we're the customer) real-time reviews, then send any "what's the best?" posts to the review area.

i am so sorry i ever accepted that first "test-product" for review.

9. sparky

sparky Active Member

Seems to me that when people request for people to "only post numbers", or "only this or that"... it doesn't work out.

A thread should be started that has one rule for the first post... "Follow this format: (1)vendor (2) yada, yada", and then the first poster would start his own little mini review, leading as example. I agree that there needs to be a format like kerf suggested, but with verbalized opinions on character as well, as augi suggested.

One thread to rule all reviews! I, for one, like the idea of one thread for all reviews. It'd make searching for opinions on a specific vendor MUCH easier... just use the "Search this thread" feature and you'll have every MBc opinion that ever existed for a vendor... then another thread specifically for products could come later??

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  10. kerf

kerf Guest

I'm not talking about requesting members only give a numeric rating, I'm saying that's all this section accepts, there's no place for dialog. We currently have plenty of space for dialog and vendor info is out there but scattered in 10,000 different post. Restaurants are rated on one to five stars as are many businesses so why not here. Keep it simple and on point if you want to get a message out.

11. sparky

sparky Active Member

Well... if there were some kinda polling system for rating only, it'd be much better to have -10 to 10. I stole that scale from a NY dude who used it to rate chicks. It works; sometimes 1 and 5 just aren't good enough.

12. kerf

kerf Guest

Lets talk about pure evil, random variation and natural selection. There are several vendors that have been mentioned in relation to a "Black Hat Alert", these people are not evil. I do not believe they wake up every morning with the intension of screwing someone. But all businessmen are not created equal, some are better than others. In a poll some members will rate these "bad guys" as very good, because their experience with them was good and this is where random variation comes in. A vendor with a real concern for customer service will have unhappy customers but they will be fewer than those with less concern. Over time, as the poll "seasons" and begins to self correct, these aspects of commitment will surface.

Many individual data points will surprise you and you may wonder if this is the vendor sing his own praises, probably not. You will find that many of our own conceptions are not totally shared by the community as a whole and we could be wrong. Over time, the truly committed will have a mean CS score of maybe 4.58 and the guy that we've all read about will come out with a 2.68. The funny thing is what happens when the vendor sees these numbers, the committed will double their effort because they care how customers feel about their performance. The others will just blow it off and keep doing business as usual but then comes natural selection.

The most important aspect of such a data base is not to drive the uncommitted out of business but to help buyers make informed decisions. The vendor with CS rating of 4.58 is $100 higher than the Ebay kit with the 2.68 rating. If one looks at the poll internals (must be displayed), they will understand their risk going with the cheaper product. It's true, we really get what we pay for, lets just help people understand that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2008
  13. sparky

sparky Active Member

Time to create this Master Review Thread. This is much needed.

I'd still prefer a brief summary with a character limit at the end of all these numerical ratings, tho. But that's just me.

14. kerf

kerf Guest

Each individual rating (internals) would include the screen name of the person doing the rating. If, for instance, I see a bad rating on a vendor, I could click that screen name and find his post. I'm sure if someone's had a bad experience, they will have vented about it somewhere on this forum.

15. sparky

sparky Active Member

Thing is that organization goes a long way in effectiveness. It's not as effective to search thru all the posts from a member with 1,700 posts. I certainly wouldn't sift thru everybody's posts who've bought from Dax if there was a 300 character (or less) brief summary of the vendor and/or product.

Ratings/Review sites have been around for a long time, and there's a reason you put them together. It's a better reference to gauge how each person is rating (1 to 5, or -10 to 10). I think a 300 character limit could keep it brief, yet still allow ecstatic/frustrated users to have their voices heard.

16. kerf

kerf Guest

The number is the important thing for me, the rest is anecdotal as far as I'm concerned, but it's not a big issue either way. What is a big issue is enough data points to create reliable data, with 2000 members and 50% active, that shouldn't be an issue. I do believe the rated vendor list should be controlled by the admin, not the membership. If a member wants to add a vendor, it must be submitted to the admin, with an explanation for approval, otherwise we end up rating Billy Joe Bob over the roof he put on.

17. IbrakeforCats

IbrakeforCats New Member

Support of Vendor Evaluation Area

Hello:

I think having a rating system would be awesome. If we get to the point where it might actually be done, please let the members help come up with the topics/areas to be rated. The more minds that help build the questions, based on experience or even lack of experience (having a perspective of what information they would find most useful BEFORE buying) could create a really valuable tool.

If the rated topics have a bit of depth to the wording then I think a 5 point system should be sufficient. I personally think a 10 point system might be overly complex and not as clear???

As a first time motored bike owner who is currently having some problems with my build and the company I purchased it from, I have to say that the left hand side of the page "sponsor links" and the list of links on the wonderful post titled something like "Newbie's start here" (don't know how to search for the actual title without possibly losing my place in writing this) says a WHOLE lot about who is reputable. Just wish I had paid more attention to that information myself....lol.

We live and learn.

Pepper

18. IbrakeforCats

IbrakeforCats New Member

THE CRASH COURSE FOR MOTORED BIKE N00BS

That was the name of the post I was talking about. I LOVED that post...or was it a sticky....? Man, I have a lot ot learn about this forum set up.

Pepper

19. MasterLink

MasterLink Member

please you guys do something ,,,but yer heads together summer is on its way with new folks geting set up or not ? hmmm

20. sparky

sparky Active Member

Me too! It's pretty clear that some people aren't afraid of losing business. Mr. RevoCycles definitely appears too cocky for his own good, and this would be an excellent way to take matters into our own hands. We can decide if negative experiences are really that common with one vendor... and at the same time promote the vendors who deserve our business over and over again... until someone else steps up with the goods.

I completely agree with this as well. What are the areas to be rated then?

I also agree that the 10 point system should be reserved for rating your preferred gender. :cool: :grin: :cool: But, I cannot agree that disallowing a couple sentences just to plot some numbers is wise. As I said before, ratings/review sites have been done before... and when I look at ratings, I read the best and worst experiences to get a better feel for a product or vendor than a few numbers will do for me. If this is to be done, we might as well copy those who have done this before and let people speak their mind, knowing that their experiences will be heard in this central rating/review area. A 300 character limit should be plenty brief. That's only about 60 words, which go a longer way toward letting us step into someone else's shoes than seeing their overall 1 to 5 judgment.