Wht am I getting low mpg?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by commanderroach1999, Oct 12, 2016.

1. I do live in a hilly area but why does my motor seem to suck up 1 liter of gas in 30 minutes?

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

4-stroking and/or holding throttle wide open on hills will toss more than half your fuel out the muffler unburned - on hills hold throttle at the point at which you hear good 2-stroke sound (also, you can often back off throttle a bit without losing speed)

3. How do I go up hills faster then 4 stroking the engine? I will be going up steep hills and without going full throttle It seems that the engine starts to die. How do I fix this?

4. I will be riding to work Friday morning and I filled up my tank 1/2 full and I have less than 1/12 of a tank now for just 5 miles of steep hills

5. crassius

going uphill, one should hear a difference as throttle is opened - at some point that ring-ding 2-stroke sound should should be heard and probably go away with more throttle - back off throttle till that sound comes back

if you never hear that sound, try lowering the needle a bit

if motor has less that 40 - 60 miles on it, you may have to wait till it runs in a bit more

6. by needle u mean the idle screw?

7. crassius

no the metering needle that hangs in the slide - read here in carb threads

8. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

you are probably leaking gas.
    all standard engines need the needle in the carb to the lowest position because stock they are set too rich. doing that will consume lass gas and get more power.