Why 69cc?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12676
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12676

If 48cc is usually the legal limit for motorized bicycles on the street then please explain to me why the larger 69cc (80cc) seems to be the more popular engine size used.
Maybe since there is no engine size stamp to reveal the size then do you all just lie to cops when they stop you and say its a 48cc?
Or are most of them used in very rural situations instead of the cop infested cities?
I am really curious to understand this. Keep in mind I am in Ecuador and cant see the situation in civilized countries.

cmon guys, tell me what you think. there are no wrong answers, only stupid ones as has already been demonstrated (for educational purposes only). I guarantee you that when women see men in their most barbaric form (saying stupid things as they "think" with their P) that they dont envy us guys at all. They pity us as they know they are the superior species.

no legal problems with size here, just looking for more torque for the hills which are very steep

At this site I read that all states require a motorcycle license if the motorized bicycle has more than 50cc.

At the Texas site it says that people with a motorcycle license can drive anything of any engine size, including mopeds and under 50cc motor driven vehicles. A restricted class M license is required for driving a motor-driven cycle of no more than 250cc, or a moped of less than 50cc. (link)

Helmet is necessary unless they are over 21 and have completed a motorcycle operator training course (approved by DMV) or have accident insurance. (link)

Mopeds require State certification, but they only allow mopeds that are on their approved list. (link)

catch 22

take at look at this from the Texas legal requirements page:

"Registration and a title are required to obtain insurance. ..You must also provide proof of liability insurance when you title and/or register your vehicle, so take your insurance card. "

I havent been in the States for years. Am I missing something or did they create a requirement that is impossible to fulfill (ie: catch 22)?

cus theyre only a few dollars more to buy, theyre available to be bought, and everyone has this strange belief that bigger is better.

i stick to my 48.

Probably people buy them before fully investigating the legal requirements. Almost all States say they have to be under 51cc. I've looked it up.

in some places, that rule only applies if you have automatic transmission

Here you could run a small block chevy in a moped.
BUT it has to be registered into one of 3 grades based on speed.
Motorized bicycles are non-legal. Mine is legally a moped.

Back