why are all bikes the same.

Bible Man 20

Local time
7:16 AM
Ok this is sort of a rant in disbelief...almost every single bike on here uses a cute little kit that u buy that fits perfectly with no issues at all.why even build a motored bike if the only difference is he bike u put it on?I myself like taking an old piece of junk and attaching it to a cheap piece of junk and making it all work through diaggnosing each problem as i go along and actually use my imagination and creativity...why?....

well all of you have some very good points that i would have never of thought of!I dont know i tend to try to stay away from spending almost anything on projects like these.I still think kits are ok and i think i may have come down to hard and with ignorange =/ on others builds.I myself am still very green at these types of things so i have no room to talk at all.Im sorry if i offended any of you!

well, once again i am making a fool of my self through my stupidity.All of these points are very good and i have since changed my ways of thinking.I DO NOT even have a bike that works properly yet so i have no room to talk nor any need to put some1 down even if not intentional.

Last edited:
What you speak of is done here all the time....you just haven't been here long enough to read about everyone's builds....plenty of creativity, imagination and skill here....for sure

Well, lets see.....
the motor kits are CHEAP and you get everything you need to build a motorized bike. altho some of the parts are not of the highest quality. Nuts and bolts can and should be replaced with better quality ones for a few bucks. beleive it or not, there is still some fabricating involved when using one of these kits. It's not like you buy a kit, and have the bike running 30 min. after you open the box.
NONE of these motor kits will fit perfectly as you say, and there are a ton of issues that come up while putting one together.
Look around, there are some really cool bikes here (i'm talking about the ones that are all customized, not all the cookie cutter mountain bikes).
you could get an old motor and try to mount it to a bike frame. then, you'd have to devise /make/buy some sort of clutch set up that would actually work, make some sort of throttle and a cable. Then you'd have to figure out gear ratio and find/make/buy a rear sprocket AND figure out a way to mount it to the rear wheel so that the chain runs straight. I was going to try this with a chainsaw motor, but by the time i figured out the gear ratio, some sort of clutch and finding / getting a rear sprocket made, i'd have had more $$ in it than an entire kit cost me. I understand what you are saying tho, and if you want to go that route, it's your choice to do so. Maybe you have the abilty to mill your own parts...not many of us do. I like to make a lot of my own parts and make custom parts from stuff that i find laying around, but sometimes it's just easier to just buy a kit, and modify it. getting all the parts at one time makes it a lot easier in my opinion. i mean, you can buy a complete 80 c.c. kit for a little over $100.00.

Did i mention that the kits are cheap? heck, even if you blow one of these 2 strokes up, you can buy a complete brand new motor for like $60.00. there's a bunch of places that make speed parts for these motors too.
buying a kit is the easiest and cheapest way to build one of these bikes, but it's when someone takes the kit, and makes their own custom parts that will set their bike apart from everone elses.

Last edited:
saying all bikes are the same would be like me going to church and saying all bibles are the same.
Anyway its a low cost hobby to me and fun too

It's simple; not all of us have the time, tools, ability, etc to engineer our own drivelines.

If it's nothing more than a rant, then I guess that's okay. We all do it from time to time.

I'm puzzled about why it would anger you, though. (Or did I mis-understand?)

My friend, I look forward to see your up and running and reliable home built setup. I mean, you must have completed several from-scratch builds to take the attitude you have. So lets see them.

I, however, will not apologize for starting with a kit. I made a choice the fact that is is not the same choice you made means nothing to me. I hope you find the information you seek here.

BTW- your first post spoke of this being the only place you have found with info. on this topic and about the site being friendly. I agree with that...so you might consider joining the community and being a bit more friendly yourself.

Are you kidding? Not everyone has the shop, fabrication skills, welder, tools, experience, imagination, or time to build a motor bike from a pile of tubing and a lawn mower. Do you totally design, bend, weld, and build your own frames? Some here do, you know. To treat with contempt those who purchase a bike and a kit instead of fabricating a bicycle and the drive system to motorize it is unfairly judging others without knowledge of their circumstances. You have proven yourself to be a very narrow minded person indeed. As to your "creations", would you care for a little contest comparing your cobbled together MBs to my well engineered kit built MB for endurance, safety, speed, acceleration, stopping distance, hill climbing ability, comfort, and legality?

Last edited:
Back