Tubes Why Did My Tire Blow? Any Detectives Out There?

I had a blowout with slime tires. It was hot out and it was inflated to 40 psi. I think it was the slime.
I got solid rubber tires now. No more flats. No more air pump. No more patch kit. No more dirt and leaves packing inside rim. No more worries. Much more fun.

:cool:after 2 months, i finally got around to fixing my flat rear tire yesterday. (for those riders with STATON gear chain drive and multi-speeds, you know the hassle of removing/reinstalling the rear tire.)

remembering the harsh ride of my PRIMO tires inflated at 100psi, i took both wheels to EKI CYCLERY to swap to softer tires. the tech there recommended that i simply drop tire pressure to 65psi. after replacing the rear tube, i reinstalled the wheels, put fresh gas/oil in the tank.

after 100 pulls, the 50-mile engine wouldn't start, so i called it a night. i figured it out while sleeping that the engine's choke was on.

the next morning, sure enough, the choke was on. with it off, the MITSUBISHI engine started on the first pull!

after a 12-mile ride, i realized that the DAHON bike's ride was now VERY comfortable, with lower tire pressure and a 12" seat. the lower pressure REALLY made a BIG difference!

the DAHON is still a squirrely bike, but that's another topic.

Myron

Well 5-7, my Schwinn Alloy Seven is kinda squirrly on the corners as well, with 10 guage rear wheel spokes, 14 guage front wheel spokes, and my 350 pound kiester purched upon it....lol. (I don't even know my tire pressure...between 25 and 30 psi..usually just a little more in the back tire). I can feel the frame "give" just a bit. That part about remembering that the choke was on while you were asleep, I can definitely relate to as well. I've experienced many such occurances..he he. I'm waiting on my new drivebelt from GEBE right now. I'm just like a big 'ol kid about this bike! lol. I'm growing concerned about my rear tire however...it's a Schwinn Typhoon Cord 26X2.125, and I'm seeing the bead curve up, and seating just slightly higher into the rim for about a 3" stretch. There is still quite a bit of room for it to slip out before the tube protrudes, and blows. I'm thinking about just getting another rear tire, and perform the "all too familiar" task of breaking down the whole rear end, and replacing the tire, (whitch fits very tightly onto the ryno lite rim), fun, fun fun. lol

:cool:Roy, this bike is squirrelly on the flats! take one hand off the handlebar, and the bike has a mind of its own.

Lean back slightly at 15mph, hit the throttle hard and the bike wants to scoot out right from under you.

Myron

:cool:You are absolutely correct, Roy. for this 20" bike, a 2.2hp MITSUBISHI engine is at its maximum for borderline safety, power and speeds close to 30mph(comparable to 41mph on a 26" bike).

Myron

I doubt that you would even feel the difference between a 100 pound tire and a solid tire.
I run mine low for the comfort factor with no shocks except on the seat post.
Doc

Update; The rear tire 26X2.25 Schwinn Typhoon Cord (whitewall), tire went flat. It appears that I may have goofed up the Mr Tuffy tire liner installation so that it didn't lay flat between the tube, and the inner tire, where the ends of the Tuffy overlap. The wrinkles rubbed my tube raw, and it began to leak. I discovered also that the Schwinn Typhoon tires were designed to fit Schwinn rims. That tire was so tight on that Sun rim that I damaged the bead just trying to get the tire off to repair the flat. I still don't know how I got the thing on there. I hit the bike shop, and picked up a 26X2.25 generic california beach cruiser tire (whitewall), and puncture resistant extra thick tube. I think I got the Tuffy liner in right this time, and I fell right in love with that new tire. (The Tuffy on my front tire is doing fine). Ya can really feel the difference in cornering. Got that thing for $14.99. Darn good tire. I think it was made for Giant. The only thing about those whitewalls is trying to keep 'em white....lol....man I've gone through a lot of Fast Orange hand cleaner on those...hehehe. Anyhow, I aired that one up to 50 psi, and it felt hard as a rock even with me sittin' on it. I think I'll let a few pounds out, to help take some of the shock. These Indy streets just keep gettin' worse too....really gotta keep yer eyes open for the big bumps/holes/CRATERS!! lol.

:cool:You are absolutely correct, Roy. for this 20" bike, a 2.2hp MITSUBISHI engine is at its maximum for borderline safety, power and speeds close to 30mph(comparable to 41mph on a 26" bike).

Myron

That's really movin on that 20 incher! I'd have to choose the right stretch of street here in Indy to do those kind of speeds, like the 26" setup...these streets are terrible/dangerous for the motoredbike rider. I'll bet that thing is a lot of fun though..hehe. I know ya can't even mount a GEBE on that 20" bike. I don't even think ya can mount one on a 24"....not sure..lol.

:cool:Hey Roy,

yeah, the lil bike takes off like a moped!

looking to build 2 or 3 more bikes, all with mucho hp. maybe i'll gear them lower, to keep speeds down to 35mph.:rolleyes:

Back