Why didn't I do this sooner?????

I know, that makes them stronger. The more they are dished the weaker bicycle wheels are and stressing the spokes on just one side like that is a no no.

We should not deny that and we should suggest keeping a close eye on the spokes.

If just one is broken then that bike should be parked until repaired.

They don't talk about this stuff much on their website. We do !

One call to GEBE and a small coversation with Julia and Dennis and you will get a wealth of information about what you can and can't do with a GEBE. Julia sold me my system and I called versus the web order to get the low down. She told me to get the 105g wheel or I might be sorry later. First the Tanakas are very torque'y buggers that have a reputation of spapping spokes (especailly the PF-4000 or larger). Here locally, they charge 5 bucks per spoke to install and ture the wheel, at that rate It pays to buy the wheel !! I love my GEBE

Yeah, if they had suggested using a heavy duty non dished wheel right up front on their website I would have been more impressed by their website.

They suggest it on their parts page.

They use the right up front part of their site to bad mouth friction drive.

All kits have their ups and downs.

1 broke spoke makes a dished wheel want to potato chip bad.

Yeah, if they had suggested using a heavy duty non dished wheel right up front on their website I would have been more impressed by their website.

I am just guessing here, but you sure do seem like you have something against GEBEs. Yeah, the weak link is the wheel. It is the same with just about every design. You keep talking about friction drives being better. I have a BMP friction drive. There is a reason that it is sitting on a shelf in my shed and the GEBE setup is on my bike. The friction drive does work well, but it has a major failing when the wheel gets wet. Plus you have to have the setup perfectly inline with the tire or it eats it right up. Not to mention the fact that the GEBE setup is more efficient at transferring power to the wheel than a friction drive is. From my experience, the friction drive causes well over double the about of rolling resistance than the GEBE setup. You can tell just by pedaling the bike with the engines off. More efficient the drive line, the easier it is on the motor.

Also, if you are worried about the spokes on a wheel, you better not get a china girl then. The rag joint is heck on spokes. They snap more spokes, and also they tweak the spokes so the wheel is no longer true and that causes more trouble. Any kit can, and will break spokes. Most of the time, it's the way the rider chooses to ride that causes the breaks.

As for GEBE not saying more about the laws, they can't list every single law out there for people to see if it's ok for them to ride. It's up to the customer to find that out for themselves. I have seen vendor's who say on their site that the kits they sell are 100% legal everywhere. You and I know that isn't true, but I don't see you complaining about them. At least GEBE warns you to check the laws first.

I forget, did you say you had tried one? If you've had problems with them I would suggest giving them a call. very helpful.

But, in the end, to each their own.

Back to your topic Thatperson, glad you're enjoying your ride.
Cue...~singin' in the rain~ :devilish:

Last edited:
Quote: "It sounds to me that if you need to run gears to haul that much stuff up and down big hills, you need something more than a bicycle. The way you are talking, you sound like the kind of person who gets a 2 door car and puts 7 people in it then fills the trunk with 500 pounds of cement mix and then wonder why the car has no power.

You have to remember, these are only bicycles, and the motors are only "assist engines". They are not meant to be run like a farm tractor hauling big loads of stuff all over the country side."

Ok, lets bring some balance to this topic.
What about the scenario where someone has an absolute "requirement" i.e. they have no other choice but to use a motorised bicycle for their transport and cartage requirements.

In my case, there was a period of three months whereby i fitted this category and needed to use the trailer to haul firewood home (amongst other things); not having the option of a car or motorbike.
The most effective and reliable method of transferring large amounts of torque to the rear wheel is through the original bicycle drive train; the hub distributes this stress through "all" spokes spreading load bearing stress more effectively, and when you're climbing a 30% gradient with 165 lbs hanging off the back, the drive train needs all the help it can get.

Over and over, my amazement never ceases to be as one would think the ratchet pawls should blow themselves to pieces with so much load driven through the system, yet in 6,000+ kilometers, the hub keeps performing just as reliably as the shift kit.

Fabian

Last edited:
I am just guessing here, but you sure do seem like you have something against GEBEs. Yeah, the weak link is the wheel. It is the same with just about every design.
As for GEBE not saying more about the laws, they can't list every single law out there for people to see if it's ok for them to ride. It's up to the customer to find that out for themselves. I have seen vendor's who say on their site that the kits they sell are 100% legal everywhere. You and I know that isn't true, but I don't see you complaining about them. At least GEBE warns you to check the laws first.

I could not say it better myself. Thanks

At very least the GEBE system needs to have a 3 speed gearbox and preferably a 4 speed gearbox (with ultra low range crawler gear) to make it an effective option to the SickBikeParts shift kit, but the problem is all the load goes through 50% of the available spokes - that could present problems with heavy haulage on murderously steep hill climbs.

Fabian

Last edited:
Back