Tires Why do people Spend so much on tubeless tires?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by Avjzkmvv, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Avjzkmvv

Avjzkmvv New Member

Why spend Huge Bucks $ on tubeless wheels? Why not just spend some extra $ on even lighter non tubeless and go stans or go ghetto?

I understand the benefits of tubeless (less mess). But I mean wouldn't it still be cheaper to buy lighter (better) non tubeless wheels then to spent tons on tubeless??

2. DougC

DougC New Member

I've not owned either but have read a lot.

The UST (Universal System for Tubeless) rims & tires do seal better than the Stans/conversion setups, I am told. In particular, the UST rims do not have the problem of "burping" nearly as bad as the Stans-like conversions do. Everyone who has made the transition from a conversion to UST says that.

("burping" is when you are riding an MTB off-road using a tubeless conversion and you have the air pressure really low, and a bump causes enough tire deflection to knock the tire's bead off the rim. The tire instantly deflates when this happens. Nothing is permanently damaged, but it's a bummer to have to deal with)

The UST rims are still pretty expensive though, and so are the tires. The rims and spokes are at least $150 or so per wheel, and most of the (few) tires I've seen were up around $80. You must use special spokes on the tubeless rims, as the spoke holes are blind (they don't pas all the way through the rim).

There is a UST system for road bicycles too but very few people are using it, much less % than the MTB riders.