Why do you ride a motored bike?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12676
  • Start date
I ride one for fun, not commuting. I used to be a mountain biker, but can no longer pedal due to medical issues. I also ride scooters and motorcycles, but still love to ride a bicycle. I use a car for commuting. I had my MB stolen while chained up at Wallymart about a year ago. In my state, if your license is suspended for DUI, an MB is off limits. I don't know what the deal is for a revoked license.

DUI /suspended license is what led me ultimately to the awesome world of motorized biking..I used to wonder what or how limited I made it on myself ie; job/transportation.But ooooh quite the opposite gonna work or postemates ..and the money that I planned on using to pay my fine in order to get lic back I gonna instead dump it into my bike and the only way I can see losing this means of transportation is it gets stolen not by getting it impounded lol

I ride one for fun, not commuting. I used to be a mountain biker, but can no longer pedal due to medical issues. I also ride scooters and motorcycles, but still love to ride a bicycle. I use a car for commuting. I had my MB stolen while chained up at Wallymart about a year ago. In my state, if your license is suspended for DUI, an MB is off limits. I don't know what the deal is for a revoked license.
revoked is the same as a suspended except that you either have multiple infractions or didn't bother paying fines and the state decided suspending it wasn't enough. You can fix a revoked license but it's not as simple as a suspended. You have to schedule a hearing with your state's dmv headquarters and plead with them and ask what you can do to get it reinstated. I was charged with 2 dui's and 3 no license charges when I was a minor and young adult so that's why my license is revoked. I was told at the last hearing I had they would consider it in 2025. So in the meantime.....

I'm new to the group but I'm getting into MBs for low cost commuting and hopefully many new adventures. I'm not a mechanic, rather an inquisitive tinker-er. I loved working on my jeep so I have no fear of working on a 2 stroke (but believe I'll probably have questions). I haven't been able to safely drive a car for 2 years for medical reasons but things are improving enough I feel I can safely ride a bike. I've been walking and that keeps me in a 2 mile bubble between work and home. My world is about open back up with this bike. Another motivation is my little dog that is not getting younger. He will be my co-pilot and I see lots of rides to local parks and beaches into the fall to sniff new places and furry bums.

When I started a year ago, I had some mechanical knowledge but had never done any work on engines or vehicles beyond the very basics. I got into motorized bikes to learn on something small and cheapish, before diving into a classic car project or the like. This hobby has turned out to be much more fun than I ever expected, although my ratio of working to riding may be a bit skewed.....

Logan

It was like dominos for me . I fond a 49cc in a storage building in pieces .pit back together with a few of jag's tips on performances and loved it . with 7 deferent bike builds in the last 3 months ,I have a bike I plan on keeping and ride it daily to work

When I started a year ago, I had some mechanical knowledge but had never done any work on engines or vehicles beyond the very basics. I got into motorized bikes to learn on something small and cheapish, before diving into a classic car project or the like. This hobby has turned out to be much more fun than I ever expected, although my ratio of working to riding may be a bit skewed.....

Logan
Skewed? Skewed like the bike stops working all the time and you have to fix it? That's not Skewed that's actually normal...

Because it's an alternative for those of us paying off old stupid traffic tickets. Public transportation out here is a joke. I did it out of desperation.

But...I do have to admit, when the bike is actually running well, it's a hell of a lot of fun. I love the advantage of not having to wait through multiple traffic lights when it's red. I can cruise right up to the light and go. Fair trade.

Now, getting shocks for the front forks...that'd be nice. I don't call this monstrosity the "boneshaker" for nothin'.

The only reason I would consider using mine would be riding to work, where there is a safe place to keep it, and I don't have to carry anything on it. But even that is out for over half the year due to extreme heat. I drive an old pickup with a brand new A/C setup in it pretty much everywhere I go. The MB, just like my motorcycles and scooters, is pretty much worthless in the summer in AZ, in 115+ degree temperatures. Yes there are spandex riders out there riding pedal bikes in that heat, but my physical condition won't allow it. About 2 months ago, several mountain bikers and hikers died in the Phoenix area due to the extreme heat. It was so hot they shut the airport down for a few hours. In the short winter, I love riding about 100 miles a day, buzzing along the shoulder of rural roads. I only ride in town long enough to get out of town. Traffic is crazy here, and it is extremely dangerous to ride in town on anything that will not go at least 50-55 mph. That's where my 200cc CVT scooter really comes in handy. No shifting, plenty of power for city riding, and storage under the seat and in a top box.

I'm with Frankenstein on this one, no licence (nothing court ordered just never had one lol), no car or desire to pay everything that goes with owning one, and was sick of 4 hours a day travel using the local bus system to and from work. Cut that travel time in half with a bike, but boy is it tiring to pedal 36 miles round trip on top of walking 15+ miles working as a security guard. The thought danced in my head a while of getting a motorized bike, but then one day tiredly pedaling home up a particularly steep hill I was passed by a motorized bike going up around 20 mph, and he wasn't pedaling!!!!! I bought a motorized bike the next morning and have been hooked since. Built a few since and ain't looking back (except to make lane changes :p).

Back