Why do you ride a motorized bicycle?

Originally for economics, but turned into just plain fun.

Economics: I first got the idea of getting one when (US) gasoline peaked over $3/gal. I though of building it like an antique-style, but decided I didn't want the hassle of that.

Just Plain Fun: the first bike I had it on didn't work out real well, and I ran into various problems with the second bike I bought for it, so I just decided to do the antique-style custom bike I had wished for in the first place.

I have a couple non-motor bikes I ride a lot, and the motorized bike isn't really a substitute for that. The motor-bike is if my car is in the shop and I need to get somewhere, or, if I am taking a longer recreational ride (50+ miles) and don't feel like pedaling.
~

They are fun to ride and it always generates a lot of questions and admiring glances....Just to much fun!

As a kid I used to wish my western flyer was motorized. I was able to buy cars and motorcycles by age 16 because I worked pumping gas, flipping burgers, hanging sheetrock... the years went by and suddenly I was middle age. Surfing the net I searched for bicycle engines and opened up a new world of possibilities. Bought a "happy" time for 145 bucks and went from there to a rack mount belt drive. I ride because I can, because I like the wind in my face, because I don't want the hassle of insurance and registration, because I like bikes and always have, because it's more difficult to exercise at 53 than I could have anticipated and it makes happy.

i ride a motorized bike cause its way cooler than a mini chopper or pocketbike and its cheaper :]

I ride one because I am too afraid of cutting up the Harley.

With your skills,I wouldn't be afraid at all.

It's funny how every chance I get I'm cruising around the neighborhood. I just came back not too long ago as a matter of fact. And I'm not going anywhere in particular.

Last edited by a moderator:
to bike or not to bike :)

When gas was going into the 3$ a gal. Sutan and I where watching TV when I said rember when you where in S.E.A. and those weird bikes and scooters with the motors then he said they where in GR. also well after some research we ordered our first bike and after several days of hair pulling and arguing (the instruction where in chines) we got the first bike running (but we forgot the breaks :eek:) .........then we ordered another motor we found 4 bikes and made 1 bike out of that mess it looked like Frankenstein
but ran like a scalded dog once we broke the motor in so here we go to work and shopping everyday a 6'4" 300 lb man on a bike to short for him and me a 5'10" lady in her 60's having more fun than any one would good sence should have :D we meet a lot of folks that wanted to talk, enjoyed the early morning rides together and even went to some "bikers" rally we have even been asked to join in a speed trial (in our own class of course)
Several yrs later we still love riding and as a side note no matter how mad :censored:you are when you get on your bike you are all smiles when you get off :D.........better than any pills.

Cookie

well to be honest i'm too lazy to pedal all 14 km's to work and sometimes after work i'm too tired to pedal home, but after the first time i got on it i loved it, i sometimes go for rides around the block just to ride it, i get laughed at a bit i took the bike to a cruise night and pulled up to where there was about 30 crotch rockets parked, I acted like they were the odd ones they made coments like "i can do a wheelie at 160" i simply reply that i can do 50 kmh on a bicycle and burn a fraction of the fuel or insurance, they quiet quickly

I don't remember anymore the last time I rode my schwinn cruiser.
My motor bike always wins.

"i can do a wheelie at 160" i simply reply that i can do 50 kmh on a bicycle and burn a fraction of the fuel or insurance, they quiet quickly

Wayde next time tell them you wilol race them ...they drain their tank you drain yours put a cup of gass in each and see who goes the the 40 miles with out stoping for gass at 5:00 PM on a bz st. :)

Cookie

I've always been a bicycle rider. (In, say, high school I lost interest. But then in my early 20s I got a job as a bicycle messenger and that re-kindled my interest) In the town I've lived in for the last twenty years or so I'm pretty well known as "that guy who's always on a bike". But, as great as bicycles are, you must be COMMITTED to them if you want to use them as practical transportation.
You know what I mean; you arrive where you're going covered in sweat so you must have some way of dealing with that. And some places you simply can not arrive in such condition. And, even for a committed bicyclist, some of those hills are torture. I'm a serious cyclist who will admit this. I'm new to motorized bicycling. My first build is less than a week old at this point. But I can see that this is a way to even out those difficulties with the bike as practical transport. Between my present understanding of what motoring is like and my past experience with un-motored bikes, I just know that I'm gonna get along fine.

Another thought comes to mind; in my early 20s (bike messenger days) I bought myself a nice highway motorcycle. A Yamaha 850 3-cylinder, shaft drive, windjammer fairing, etc. A big, comfortable bike. I was thrilled with it.
This motorized bike I've had the last week thrills me in the same way. I'd just about forgotten the feeling. It's nice to have it back again.

These motorized bikes are fun.

Back