Why editing profile, adding LOCATION, is important

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by bamabikeguy, Jun 22, 2009.

1. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Altitude and topography affect engine performance.

A lot of folks put their location in the intro thread, but it is not in their profile. Somebody has to do a lot of searching to jolt their memory about "who is where...."

Giving answers and solutions could be a lot easier if we could just look in the upper right of the side of a post and see "where the heck are you !? "

Aussies can give fellow Oz'ers better advise because we in the states don't know the little quirks, (much less the metric system and local tool-lingo), a Canadian will come forward with faster advise for a fellow countryman. If I see somebody within 3 hours ride, I can give particular directions to a decent bicycle shop, (because there are ONLY 3, the rest of the bikeshop guys are jerks).

Some simple recommendations that work on the coastline are a no-go up in the Rockies or Sierras, because other tweaks are needed.

It only takes a few seconds to edit your profile and add your location.

Another benefit of editing, it makes meeting up with an MB neighbor a lot simpler. Or the local MBexperts may get more involved in helping you in your pursuits.

Just a suggestion.

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

it's more than just a suggestion -- it's a great idea
    many times this information has been needed
    so we go to a MB er's profile to try and find out said information -- location !!
    then sometimes it's not even in their profile !!!

we don't know where you are riding that thing !!!!

3. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

I asked/said this many times. It really does help! Let's put it this way - it helps way more than any potential harm. Even if you put a region because you are too afraid to enter your state.....

Some folks have stated a security concern(?), big brother, no need, etc - I guess I'm just not that tightly wrapped.

4. loquin

loquin Active Member

There shouldn't be any security concern with listing the state. (and, probably not much of a concern to list city/state.)

5. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Well, the suggestion doesn't seem to be having much effect....

Looking at the registration page, maybe a request, bolded and possibly in red, could be added? Or a prompt at the location-fill in spot?

It really does make it easier when the veterans of the forum can point a thread toward the MBer's they know are local experts.

e.g. "PM so & so, he lives close to you"