why hasn't someone developed a nice fuel tank to fit in Schwinn cruiser frame?

That's what I found out too. I plan to build my bikes with my custom tanks and a over the bar tank that will fit all the curisers. Custom making these tanks for bicycles is going to change the look for ever. I want that ugly peanut tank to disappear if gives the bikes a geek look JMO. I should have the new over the bar tank done for this weekend if your coming to the meet or pic's of it next monday. I ride the Indian around the hood everyday because I can just jump on it no helmet and putt to store real quick. I love it.

I don't have the skill set EJ does(sweet tank man), so I came up with some thing different

Looking around for a tank, I found an old extruded aluminum canteen. It's got a good dent on one side. Thought it would be good for a practice run. Until I get one in better shape.

I'll need to drill a hole for a fuel line nipple. I'm going to try just getting the threads in then building up quick steal around it. I'll bet it needs a vent hole drilled in the cap too. Needs some kind of coating inside as well.

I've been using it for a month now, it seems to hold gas right well. I would think it could be made small enough to fit most bikes.

Attachments

• S5030016-2.jpg
    S5030016-2.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 579
  • S5030018-1.jpg
    S5030018-1.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 505
  • S5030021.jpg
    S5030021.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_1944.jpg
    IMG_1944.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 502
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 551
Last edited by a moderator:
:giggle:Looks like a bass lure. LOL

Great idea, great paint lay down, excellent craftsmanship, just looks like it's missn the deep diving bill!

I see a little muffler tip on the end of the exhaust too, maybe a little briggs take off? Make a big difference in the noise and power?

i am as well building my own tank. fiberglass ! light and a **** of alot of work.
foam , fiberglass , and epoxey

Attachments

• P7120033.JPG
    P7120033.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 419
  • P7140076.JPG
    P7140076.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 437
fiberglass and epoxy

Here is a tank that I made . I first made a pattern that was 3/16 smaller then the opening in my frame. I duplicated that pattern several times in 3/4 mdf. I glued them together so that I had two halves of the tank + one extra 3/4 piece added to each half. I sanded the two halves to the shape I liked then sprayed the molds with primer and then mold release. I layed up a 5/32 inch thick layer of glass cloth and epoxy. I trimmed the two halves of the tank with a slot cutter to remove the extra 3/4 in. that I added to each mold. I made up a small flat sheet of fiberglass and epoxy about 1/8 in thick which I cut into several small parts about 1/4 x 1/2 in. I glued several of these on the inside surface of the tank at the center joint so that they were hanging over the edge. I did this to both halves and when the epoxy was cured the two halves could be put together and the tabs alinged and indexed the two halves with each other . I added a bead of thickned epoxy along each edge of the joint and when the two halves came together the two beads of glue flowed together at the centerline into one larger bead. A layer of fine glass on the outside of the joint and it was ready to paint. I hope this makes some sence it is hard to explain clearly. Go for it its a worth while project.

Brent

039.JPG

043.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

DSC00946.jpg

Possible Alternative to Fiberglass?

Those fiberglass tanks really turn out fantastic. Has anyone ever tried using Bondo (the auto body dent filler) as the final finish over your frame work covering the stock tank? I've used Bondo years ago but I feel the learning curve on fiberglass...
i am as well building my own tank. fiberglass ! light and a **** of alot of work.
foam , fiberglass , and epoxey
it might be my second or third try before I get a good result.:sick:

Back