WHY the CHANGES!!

KenM

Local time
6:26 PM
I do not see why people have to change a good thing. This site was a lot better before the changes.
What is up with the stupid adds it the middle of a post!!???!!!
Give me the old forum anytime! Rant over! Ken.

Sorry about that, there should be no ads anywhere for logged in members ever - with the exception of the sponsored ads.

Things may look weird and different at first but it's all for the best.

There are so many reasons for the upgrade:
1. Mobile compatibility - 55% of people are viewing this forum on mobile or tablet devices.
2. Security - The old vBulletin software was end of life. So many bugs and security issues with it that were never fixed.
3. Compatibility - The new forum should work on all newer devices.
4. Interactive - You now get notifications in real time.
5. The media gallery: http://motoredbikes.com/media/
6. Speed - The new software should be super fast once I tweak everything.

Thank you sir. Change is good when it is needed. I use an IPod for all my computing , so that will be good!
In was just those ads!! Can not stand them. Thank you sir! For all your work here. This is a good site to learn, and have fun.
Keep looking up! Ken.

Thanks for letting me know, the permissions weren't set correctly. It should work ok now!

I am liking the new format Anton, well done!
Adjusted images for screen width with the option for full screen view is awesome.

It looks like you don't have your side bar ads up yet so when that is adjusted to fit it should be fine, but I am sure enjoying no side bar ads while it lasts.

As I type this reply in 'quick reply' I see it has all the formatting and seems to grow in size as I need it.
Now THAT is some clever forum software and I envy you.

I see some user settings were lost but it only took me a couple of minutes to handle that.
Was keeping everything intact as much of a pain as it looks?

So are you happy the XenForo software so far?
Do you have to pay them?
Will it run on an NT Windows server?

Naw, you don't have time for those questions, I will go see for myself, but suffice it to say nice choice for an upgrade!

Thanks KC!

The importer did most of the hard work. I did a test upgrade about a week ago and wrote down 13 pages of notes in Microsoft word about all the things that needed tweaking after the import.

I am still working on the character encoding of special characters so you may see some gibberish instead of a special characters (eg. quote, full stop or comma) in some of the older posts. Oh and smileys, only basic smileys are working at the moment. ;)

Xenforo is incredible. It's actually made by the same two guys who wrote vBulletin back in the day. There's an upfront fee which gives you 1 year support and upgrades. After that year you can still run the software but no more support and upgrades until you renew your license. It will run on NT Windows I believe.

Cool.
I am running 15 year old Snitz Forums 2000 and old Access DB's on all of mine, but I really really like this.

I remember vBB well, but it was geared to unix/.psp and I did all my coding back then on Windows based hosting in .asp so I went with the flow.
Then again I had to write my own code just to make the thing do things it was never meant to do, like a form template for the first post which was fun, but not so fun now ya know?

I love a good forum so I'll check it out and see if it will run on my own Win2K3 free private server, (like I need another project), but I really like some of pic features.

Just get the Preview thing right, and maybe display the date of the post on top, and I would be in nirvana ;-}

Back