WHY the CHANGES!!

so how do i add pictures that arent url linked?

cant seem to directly access my attachments.

media gallery? i havent added any media.. then off i go chasing geese again. gallery. hmm, i have no gallery. oh. libraries! oh. nope, theres a goose...

upload a file? well...hmm...custom files...wheres my thumbnails?
i cant see thumbnails of the pics in the file uploader... so which one to add?

what, open up my folder, find out the file name, and do it that way?

all this extra work seems involved now. just to post a pic?

so no more pics from headsmess which is no great loss i guess.

i suppose if i hadnt had a notification recently i maynt have come back at all...

Currently the forum accepts the following file extensions.

zip
txt
pdf
png
jpg
jpeg
jpe
gif

We can add more file types if needed.

The upload file button is at the bottom near the post reply button. Took me a while to realize that is where you post a picture... :eek:

the problem is that the uploader wont display thumbnails it seems.... and relying on thumbnails to select said pics...

default it asks for custom files. nothing is displayed. change to all files and thats it...no thumbnails. just a default icon symbol thingy. i can view it as large medium or small, but its still not a thumbnail of the pic im trying to find amongst thousands....

png is two nice flowers. jpg is a lovely view of a mountain and some type of waterway... default icons.

i dont wanna start naming files to suit one site.

and once again, i cant seem to find the previous direct link to "my attachments."
i merely wanted to repost a previous pic... cant even figure out how to do that easily now.
the previous system worked and was logical.

ah well, such is the advancement of technology... less practical and more confusing :)

1. this bits new
    1. as is this
    2. but thats weird
  2. hey look ma!
  • this seems a sort of useless feature....
  1. but maybe i never looked before...
  2. and it was here all along.
    1. very likely
    2. thats still not the answer though.
    3. 12001638_f260.jpg

4. i can insert a url....
  3. :p a smiley
and thats about it :)

I'm not sure why you can't see your images when you Upload a File. It seems to be working ok for other members. I will PM you for more details as this could be an issue with your browser and the forum.

That's a very good point you've brought up - how to re-use an attachment.

There's no attachment gallery as yet with the forum so I've implemented a solution.

Hover over your username at the top of the forum and click My Attachments.

reuse attachments.jpg

Click on the attachment you want to re-use and then copy the URL.

In the post reply box, click on Image and then paste in the Image URL. :)

The media gallery embed works really well. It's seems silly that the software doesn't use the same system for the attachments!

I think pictures like .jpg and .gif should be separate from Attachments like video or .txt or .pdf files with a direct access url like "http://thisSerever .com/pics/ ThisPic.jpg" so the pics are easy to display, use elsewhere, and often reused direct here.

I know what that means for bandwidth, you become a host for file sharing from any other site you can just enter a URL to display a pic, but I have found that is not always a bad thing these days for a site like this one, and for sure mine.

Internet calls to your web site for specific content does a lot in search engines rankings for relevant placement in search page results.
You just got keep the content MB related pics is all.

You got a place to put them online as a file.

If you let it be a shareable URL for pics of cute cats or whatever to be shared on social media it will get taken advantage of, but not some much these days, it's easy and cheap to Store media these days, it's all about the sharing it elsewhere AFTER it 'changed format' part that screws most people.

Simple pics like .jegs's and animated gif's are nothing in their upload form bandwidth wise these days.
Just a suggestion, personally I am as happy as can be with the new format and ease of use, and I take a share a LOT of pictures!

Back