WI laws

sob

Local time
3:44 AM
Hi i am a little confused with the laws on motorized biking here in Wisconsin and i was wondering what i need to do to my bike to be able to get it on the road legally haha. I have read all the laws and its really confusing because it says they can classify it ether as a regular bike or as a moped or did i just read that wrong? anyone out there that can help me? Thank you!!

Wisconsin law
340.01(30)
(30) "Motor bicycle" means any of the following:
340.01(30)(a)
(a) A bicycle to which a power unit not an integral part of the vehicle has been added to permit the vehicle to travel at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind and having a seat for the operator.
340.01(30)(b)
(b) A 2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicle that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and an electric motor of less than 750 watts and that is capable, when powered solely by the motor, of a maximum speed of less than 20 miles per hour with a 170-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind.

343.05(3)(c)
(c) No person may operate a moped or motor bicycle unless the person possesses a valid operator's license or a special restricted operator's license issued under s. 343.135 or a restricted license issued under s. 343.08. A license under this paragraph does not authorize operation of a moped or motor bicycle if the license is revoked, suspended, canceled or expired.

347.11 Headlamp specifications for mopeds and motor bicycles. The headlamps on mopeds or motor bicycles may be of the single-beam or multiple-beam type but in either event shall comply with the following requirements and limitations:
347.11(1)
(1) The headlamp shall be an electric headlamp and the current shall be supplied by a wet battery and electric generator, by a current-generating coil incorporated into the magneto or by a generator driven directly by the motor by means of gears, friction wheel, chain or belt.
347.11(2)
(2) The headlamp shall display a white light of sufficient illuminating power to reveal any person, vehicle or substantial object at a distance of 200 feet ahead and shall be so adjusted or operated that the glaring light rays therefrom are not directed into the eyes of the driver of any oncoming vehicle. No headlamp shall have any type of decorative covering that restricts the amount of light emitted when the headlamp is in use. This subsection does not apply to any type of decorative covering originally equipped on the vehicle at the time of manufacture and sale.
347.11(3)
(3) If the moped or motor bicycle is equipped with a multiple-beam headlamp, the upper beam shall meet the minimum requirements set forth in sub. (2) and the lowermost beam shall meet the requirements applicable to a lowermost distribution of light as set forth in s. 347.10 (2) (b).
347.11(4)
(4) If the moped or motor bicycle is equipped with a single-beam lamp, such lamp shall be so aimed that when the vehicle is loaded none of the high-intensity portion of light, at a distance of 25 feet ahead, projects higher than the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes.

You can have rear and directional lights but you must at least have red reflectors in rear for night riding.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply it is much appreciated! That really clears things up! Now i just want to see all of you folks out here in WI on that pavement:rolleyes:.

Back