Wider Crank Dimension Help

Porkchop

Local time
6:03 AM
Folks, I'm working on another build now. I'm thinking of using a Grubee Starfire 50cc engine. I've done a dry fit with this engine and the cranks are scrubing the engine already. I plan to add a centrifugal clutch and a pull start on this engine. I have not been able to get in touch with any vendors that I'm aware that sell the clutch and starter options to get needed info. Can someone give me a needed clear distance between the cranks. If I had the clutch and starter add ons I could do it myself, but I don't have them yet. My local Schwinn dealer says they can help me with a wider crank. I'm hoping to get one maybe tomorrow. Thanks for any and all replies/help !

..... PC .....

the engine is around 7" wide beween the crank arms with the cent clutch and pullstart.

instead of using wide cranks for my wide dualstart engine i am using short cranks from a exersize bike.
my stock cranks arms were 8" and my exersize bike short cranks are 5" and they go under the engine instead of on the side.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I measured my engine yesterday and came up with about 5", and I figured anoher 2" ought to do it. But I think I'm going to wait until I get the parts in hand before buying another crank. I'm having a hard time finding the pull start and clutch. Zoombicycles sells them, but they're out of the clutch assembly. I've noticed they'll have them for a short while and then they're out of them. Must be a popular item. My local bike shop seems like they don't want to help me with anything unless I'm spending big bucks. I bought my first bike from them in '82. They had an attitude then as well. I'm going to start taking my business else where.

Back