wild friction drive setups

unior

Local time
12:25 AM
Are they even possible with roller slippage?

Is this why the faster bikes are chain driven?

I'm running around 2hp and I just noticed that the tighter i run the roller the more drag i seem to have. However if i run her too loose I get slippage...theres a fine line it seems.

I ran a 4.25-5hp GP460 engine on friction drive. For MY situation, it did not work well. The engine gouged deeply into the tire, every inch or so around the entire circumference.:sick:

I don't know. If I did, I would've done something to prevent it. Maybe because of the engine's propensity to rev high on startup.

Just set up a BMP 1.25 inch roller kit with a Tanaka TC47 (non-R version). This is the 4th engine I've tried with this setup and I like this engine the best. Others were: 49cc chinese mitsu clone, Mitsu TLE33 and DAX 50cc 4 stroke. I guess that makes sense since the Tanaka is rated at 2.4 hp and the other 3 were 1.6 to 2.0. Also very hard to find and expensive.

2Fat

I searched high and low for a 47 or 47r and they seem to be hard to find. I have personally had great experiences with tanaka engines on hedge trimmers. Still though after extensive searching the intraweb I think if I had to pay for it....the next engine I would try would be a 460 from daves. $255 for 3.5 claimed hp just seems like a good deal.

Does anyone have thoughts on the reliability of the chinese 460's?

The tecumseh 49cc 2 stroke seems like a good deal also and a good balance between price and expected (im guessing) reliability and performance.

I bet that 49 with intake/exhaust would run well at high rpms.

I searched high and low for a 47 or 47r and they seem to be hard to find. I have personally had great experiences with tanaka engines on hedge trimmers. Still though after extensive searching the intraweb I think if I had to pay for it....the next engine I would try would be a 460 from daves. $255 for 3.5 claimed hp just seems like a good deal.

Does anyone have thoughts on the reliability of the chinese 460's?

The tecumseh 49cc 2 stroke seems like a good deal also and a good balance between price and expected (im guessing) reliability and performance.

I bet that 49 with intake/exhaust would run well at high rpms.

My favorite mod has been to install the ADA S1 expansion pipe. I've used the same pipe on my TLE43cc Mitsubishi, pocketbike Cag, GP460 and Tanaka 47R engines. The pipe is quiet enough that when the muffler fell off, I did not replace it.:devilish:

Hey, Ive ran a gp460 on a friction drive for about 600miles now and it has been very reliable thus far. The only fix its needed was the clutch saver springs, which i installed after the first springs broke. The springs are only like $15.

I havent had any problem with it digging into the tire, Im not sure why 5-7 had some many problems with his, I think it was because he used a second hand, very modded motor from zombybuilder. (not that there is anything wrong with that.)

Back