Will a bike kit fit a racing bike?

nes999

Local time
8:05 PM
I'm new to motorized bikes. I would like a kit that would work with my racing bike. I could see an issue with the handle bars in they curve down towards the ground. Will just any plane jane kit work? I also live where you are forced to go up extremely steep hills to go anywhere is there any kits that work better with this type of terrain?

Thanks

Most 2-stroke kits should work, but you might have to remove the front derailer. For uphill travel, you'd want the larger 66cc kit (sometimes called an 80cc).

I don't recommend any extras for a first time builder. Some folks really struggle to get it right even when it is in its simplest form. Get it working properly, then add what you like later.

keep in mind the thin aluminum typically used in racing bikes is likely to fail under the stress of an engine. if you're lucky enough to have a carbon fiber bike, that should fare better, but when it finally does fail it will fail pretty spectacularly. if it's some strange material like magnesium you're on your own, but I wouldn't want to push my luck in that case.

on the other hand, if it's a cheap steel framed bike, you're in luck as steel does a great job holding up to the extra stress

Nes, since you want a motor anyway- get a mountain bike to motorize.
Everything is better- brakes/ ride/ wheels/ tires. Especially the brakes!

The biggest problem with drop handle bar bikes is that their wheels are made for light weight rather than strength. I would consider adding mountain bike wheels if you really want to add a kit to your street racer. Your life will be much easier if you motorize a beach cruiser or mountain bike as the professor said.
I would consider adding a 250w electric hub motor to a nice roadie bike.

Back in the good ole days, Johnny Tomac raced a mountain bike that had drop handlebars. (he also raced roadie bikes and wanted to maintain the same riding position). Maybe you could do something like that if you really dig the look of a drop handlebar bike.
p4pb6578624.jpg

dn_109.jpg

Back