will options be available for styles?

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by crassius, Dec 29, 2015.

1. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

I usually log on from a win9x machine & some things work. I see forums with new posts in a bolder font than those without new posts.

Today I am here on a win8.1 machine and all forums look exactly the same - no font diff between forums with new posts and those without. Looked & looked for any diff in them, but found none. maybe the machine is supposed to d'l that font or I just don't have that font, but it just doesn't work here.

Thought that maybe I wasn't properly logged in to display what was new for me, but that wasn't it.

Perhaps a style option might change that?

2. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

3. crassius

I'm on the win9x machine today, so I'm getting the bold fonts for forums with new posts, it is only on the win8.1 machine that the bold fonts don't show up.

I see that 'sticky' posts are italicized within the forums, but that is a very small diff and hard to spot too.

All forums have a question mark for their icon in 9x and a white domino looking icon in 8.1, so I wonder if the color could change on these to highlight those with new posts, or perhaps a diff style option might make it clearer.

I'll try it on the win8.1 later & see if 'new posts' works, but I'm thinking it will. Seems the bold font & normal font are the same on that machine. Within the forum the icon is diff for the new posts, which works well on either machine.

4. crassius

in now on win8.1 - 'new posts' button does show all new posts, but forum names still not using the bold font

5. crassius

here's what I'm getting on the win8.1 machine

++++++++++
    on a 'read' forum

<span class="nodeIcon" title=""></span>
    (icon I see is rectangle with "F0C1" in it)

<h3 class="nodeTitle">
    (just h3)

on an 'unread' fourm

<span class="nodeIcon" title="Unread messages"></span>
    (icon I see is rectangle with "F0E4" in it)

<h3 class="nodeTitle">
    (just h3, no bold)
    ++++++++++++++++++

6. crassius

on now with TOR browser on win8.1

some clip-art looking icons show now, but no diff between 'read' & 'unread' forums

fonts are bolder now for 'unread' forums tho

biggest diff between TOR browser and normal is that it ignores my hosts file & anonymously picks up data from anywhere
    this makes me think your icons & fonts may be external and coming from a beacon site like google or somesuch

7. Anton

The icons are using font awesome but they are referenced locally on the server. The text you see where the icon should be, is the reference to the icon.

Are you using any plugins in your Win8.1 browser? If so can you try loading the site without any plugins turned on and see if that makes any difference?

Font awesome is quite possibly being blocked by a plugin that you have installed, and this is why the icons don't show.

It should not effect the formatting of read/unread forums though, as it is only the icons using font awesome.

8. crassius

on the 9x machine now - see that font as coming from "maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com", but the 9x substitutes some other font that has the bold version

not a huge problem as I'm most often on the 9x machine

9. Anton

You're right. The icons were being referenced off site. I've reverted everything back to normal for now.

10. crassius

workshop, where win8.1 machine is, is pretty damp right now but will try it later today

11. crassius

here on the win8.1 - fonts are all same, but now have diff icon for unread forums, thanx muchly